Hi,

I was going to setup a second 2217 on my tank today and discovered a small leak in the in-line tap (intake). This leak is not where the two parts join but from a connection in the tap itself. Is this just a o ring needing to be replaced or is the tap stuffed?

post-429-14711628616054_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Trav

post-429-14711628615884_thumb.jpg

Edited by noddy
add picture

Is this the joint connected to the bottom of the cannister? You can rebuild that section and put vaseline when putting it back together. I would think it is not serious as this part moves around and sometimes lossen the connection. If its the stopvalves, just get rid of it and run the hose straight.

Hi litigator,

It's the taps. I've added a picture of where it is leaking.I was thinking that I may just run the pipe straight thru but if its a 30 cent o ring that can be easily replaced then i'd set it up for ease of cleaning down the track.

Cheers

Trav

Im not sure if you can open up that part. It may be more $ as you will need to get the tap set. Ive seen some people using irrigation type stop valves to regulate flow. I would agree that this is a special feature of this filter to aid in the ease of maintenance.

Looks like you can use a flathead screwdriver to release that part and replace the 30c oring. You can take the oring down to your local bearing centre and get this for 30c or less but request NBR 70 as its silicone and would suit. Generally the NBR 90 is a tougher smoother rubber that will not give as good a seal and they would most likely sell you. I worked in a bearing and oil seal wholesaler.

Otherwise you can pay the $2+ from an LFS or eBay for the part. They generally sell as a small kit of 2 -4 orings to replace all.

Vaseline isn't the best to use as it can coat your media and render some if it useless. Better to use silica grease.

Edited by fish4fish3

Thanks guys. I've been told that yes it is an o ring leaking but you can't get at it to replace it. I've had a bit of a play and can't seem to get it open either. If anyone has managed to do this if they can tell me how they done it that would be great. Just have to decide now whether to replace it before I set it up, replace it after I've set it up or just plumb it straight thru and forget about it all together...

Thanks again

Trav