darkangel

is it possible to have a tank without a filter?

you need to have some sort of filtration.

depending on the number of fish in your tanks you might get away with just running sponge filters filters.

my power bills were getting pretty big when i had canisters and power filters running all the time

now in half my tanks i have only sponge filters all conected to one large air pump,

he's worried about both the nosie and the elec. bill lol.

atm i amd running internam filters and one of those hang on filters.

one tank has e.yellow fry, another guppies etc and then the other 2 have cichlids in them.

My Electric Yellow Fry and My Guppies are all running off sponge filters only...

You just need to do a bottom syphon/vaccum every now & then :wink:

Think you may want to keep bigger filters running on other tanks tho :lol:

Just tell hubby that if it keeps YOU happy, it should keep HIM happy! :lol:

I that doesn't work, just slap him! LOL :lol: ..jokin :wink:

Jaynee :D

You can try the

"I have turned the heaters in the tanks down 3-4 degrees, therefore saving some power."

You can't do to much with the filters, sponge filters is what I use in some fry tanks. Can mean more water changes to remove extra rubbish on the bottom of tanks.

Give him this equation. :lol:

Less filters + more water usage = another bill :mrgreen:

Frenchy :D

getting back to your question..... if you can plant enough plants in your tank you could get away with just sponge filteror still running on air, an undergravel filter....

the plants will do all the work for you.

I shouldn't get on here when I've been drinkin but here goes.

if your fry are big enough to avoid any suction issues then under gravel is

a great way to go as it sucks the crap that you would normally siphon in a tank with no substrate and provide better bio filtration than sponges. running both means running a decent air pump for a few tanks instead of 3 or 4 powerheads.

how'd I go?

I read an article once on a planted tank that had been setup for 12 months without a filter. The choice of fish and plants was fairly critical. It really looked amazing.

In the same article was a reference to using soil and potting mix under the gravel for the plants to feed off. It was fantastic. Wish I could find it again. All references were to articles written by a woman, they kept mentioning her name. Seems to be a guru on plants and planted tanks.

If anyone finds it or knows of it please let me know. Wonderful reading.