Mitch86

Aquarium salt Vs other salts

So just checking out kasman, john and a few others talking about adding salt in and what salt you use. Is there ANY difference between aquarium, pool, and table salt at all? Am I paying 20x the price at the lfs for a container with a pretty fish on it. Maybe iodized is better I'm not sure if fish share the same iodine deficiency we humans do? Lol

i dont no wats besed or cheaper ,i just get aquarium salt from houng at darra even if i can get it cheaper i wont ,dont mind buying from a bloke that looks after me.or efc they great blokes to helped me out a few times were houng couldnt.

Yeah john I'm all for supporting lfs but I'd have to clear the shelf just to last me a couple months. I use about 500g with a large water change. So the 10kg option sounds good.

I have been around for a few years and know for a fact that there are a lot of shops that packages their own "Aquarium Salt".

What they do is buy 20 kg bags of pool salt and put it into smaller fancy labled packets and quadruple the price.

The only salt that you do not want to use is Iodized salt.

Graeme

If you can use pool salt, try to use mermaid brand I think it's called. The stuff from bunnings is $3 cheaper but it's rubbish & turned my pool red. I was told its because its not washed properly. As always you get what you pay for.

I buy pool salt (I think its called sunray) its in a 25kg bag for about $8 from Big W or I've even seen it at City Farmers....I used woolies brand pool salt too...As long as it is rock salt and it doesn't have idione or been idionize or any other additive in it, it should be ok to use.

I buy pool salt (I think its called sunray) its in a 25kg bag for about $8 from Big W or I've even seen it at City Farmers....I used woolies brand pool salt too...As long as it is rock salt and it doesn't have idione or been idionize or any other additive in it, it should be ok to use.

That's the stuff that turned my pool water red. Use at your own risk..

I've been using it for over 2 years, it hasn't turned any of my tanks red yet!

What can I say, I have no reason to make this stuff up. It took 3 days for the pool water to clear. It also left dirty looking foam on top of the water. I rang qld pool supplies straight away & they told me that's the reason they don't sell it. It can also have an adverse affect on Your pool filter after prolonged use..Apparently..don't forget that you would only be using tiny amounts compared to what you put in a pool. For the sake of $3-$5, I can't see why you wouldn't buy top quality salt. A 25kg bag should last you a looong time..

Edited by PaleAle

Any of the pool salts you use you use at your own risk. I used to work with pools & no one company cleans their salt better. All the pool salts can turn your pool red which in most cases is caused by a high mineral byproduct or a high iron oxide content. Either way bad for fish. Check a scoop or 2 in a bucket of water for a couple days to make sure the salt is clean. No one company cleans their salt better trust me, most of the salt comes from the same 3-4places anyway. There was a pool salt shortage a couple yrs ago when I was working with pools & we had to stock salts from every company in Aus from Mermaid to Sunrays & although its not common it happens with all brands.

Celtic salts guys, food grade, non iodized & not too expensive in large quantities, (or wasn't much $ when I was last using it a few yrs ago). Safer for your fish as I'm sure people on here know the results of too much ferrous iron in a fish tank (especially a tank with little to no plants)

I've been using pool salt last month or so with no problems.

Interesting hearing about possible high content of iron oxide though.

not sure how much of a possible risk that is...

Was previously using saxa sea salt from woolies for about $4 a kg.

Sunray is produced by Cheetham Salt which is an Australian Solar salt producer who by the way also produces the Mermaid and Diamond brands. I use this myself and have never had any problem other than some slight scum on the surface. I always mix prior to introduction and remove this from the water surface before using in tank.

One thing I have noticed with my research is that none of the big solar salt producers like Solar Salt, Cheetham or Australian Salt Works ever seem to list a salt made for aquariums in their product range. This would implicate that aquarium salt products we see on the shelves are the result of middle men repackaging and on selling the same salts.

Edited by greenterra

Any of the pool salts you use you use at your own risk. I used to work with pools & no one company cleans their salt better. All the pool salts can turn your pool red which in most cases is caused by a high mineral byproduct or a high iron oxide content. Either way bad for fish. Check a scoop or 2 in a bucket of water for a couple days to make sure the salt is clean. No one company cleans their salt better trust me, most of the salt comes from the same 3-4places anyway. There was a pool salt shortage a couple yrs ago when I was working with pools & we had to stock salts from every company in Aus from Mermaid to Sunrays & although its not common it happens with all brands.

Interesting, nothings as it seems is it. I only used Sunray once & thats when the shortage was on a couple of years ago as you said. Due to the floods nothing could get out of Rockhampton where i was told most of it comes from. That's probably a furby too.