Mitch86

Aquarium salt Vs other salts

If you add salt to your freshwater tanks....and you are smart

You'll buy a hydrometer

If you are really smart....you won't add any salt to your freshwater tanks ....;)

Edited by Rod

I need some more salt, but I use it for one purpose - hatching/growing out brine shrimp.

I'm getting a general consensus here that the Bunnings/Woolies pool salt will be a-ok for this? (AND, probably a-ok to use in my freshwater tank, if ever I feel the ich to do so).

E:

And I should probably get a hygrometer hydrometer OR a refractometer

For artemia, any salt will do but and for most fish keepers even a terrible hatch rate is sufficient. However to get the optimal hatch rate, the best conditions will depend on the strain of artemia. Temp, light & pH being more important than salinity. 

I use a weak seawater salinity as this re-hydrates the cyst faster so artemia hatches faster so artemia spend less time struggling to get out and have more nutrition (egg reserves) and are smaller. For bigger fish fry like cichlids, the artemia size or strain won't matter.  Growing artemia is a waste of time IMO as larger shrimp are mostly water unless you are growing to breed. 

I also decapsulate the cysts so I can feed the unhatched cysts too. 

If breeding, I recommend using a circular tank with very slow circulation and a flat baffle in center so they don't pile up im middle and crush. Childs shallow wading pool is perfect. The colonies will crash so set up two. Feeding the artemia consistently is a tricky art that I find challenging.