blocka

mangrove jack feeding info wanted

Hi all I got a 25cm jack on the weekend and wanted some info from you people that have had them before on how often you are meant to feed them like is it best to feed them morning and night or just once a day thanks

i was talking to a lfs owner and he said just mornin feeds of prawns and goldfish feeders he was a lovely specimen at the same size as your mangrove jack. Mangrove jacks are the most aggressive native fish out for us aussies they can grow up to 1 metre long in the wild and were salt water only but have altered to fresh water and cultured to ph 7.5 to 8.0 through aquarium keeping standards is he a beautiful bronze colour at that size

Jacks live in fresh water in the wild. Whoever told you they don't and have been cultured to live in it is telling porky pies.

My last jack I caught up at baffle creek was caught well up in the fresh.

Now as for feeding look at what they eat in the wild - prawns, small fish insects, frogs etc.

That being said if I was feeding one I'd be feeding small pieces of mullet, white fish (so whiting flathead etc), prawns and a good pellet like massivore.

http://www.fishbase.org/summary/Lutjanus-argentimaculatus.html

Have a read of that its a link to a fishbase profile on jacks

Edited by __CAV__

i was talking to a lfs owner and he said just mornin feeds of prawns and goldfish feeders he was a lovely specimen at the same size as your mangrove jack. Mangrove jacks are the most aggressive native fish out for us aussies they can grow up to 1 metre long in the wild and were salt water only but have altered to fresh water and cultured to ph 7.5 to 8.0 through aquarium keeping standards is he a beautiful bronze colour at that size

Not completely true,

Mangrove Jack are a diadromous species, Meaning that in their natural range they migrate between fresh and saltwater, and live just as happily in both. Many Australian native fish have this ability, the other most well known being the Barramundi. Both of these species spawn in saltwater, and the fry then travel up river to the safety of more sheltered areas. Some traveling into the upper freshwater reaches while some stay in brackish or salt waters. During the fishes life it may travel between fresh and saltwater as often as it wants to. Upon reaching maturity most Jacks leave the estuary and head out to open ocean where they live on reefs and other submerged structures where they can grow up to 1 metre as mentioned.

An awesome fish by any standard.

Leon.

I fed mine green prawns from the supermarket, cheap fish fillets and bits of squid from the supermarket, geckos and whatever was lurking. I never fed bait prawns (any bait stuff for that matter) to my jack and never tried pellets.

I fed mine green prawns from the supermarket, cheap fish fillets and bits of squid from the supermarket, geckos and whatever was lurking. I never fed bait prawns (any bait stuff for that matter) to my jack and never tried pellets.

He ate massivore pellets first time I tried Cam.

Adults breed in salt. Juves move to fresh. Mature fish move back out to sea. Any parasites can be treated by changing from fresh to salt or vice versa. They feed well in morning and evenings. Feed what your filter can handle. Best to run atleast brackish as they age. Change water regularly. Good luck.

hey. my jack would be pushing 40cm+ hell take any live food that goes in an will take most dead foods such as green prawns an fish pieces. i only feed him live/dead fresh food a few times a week he takes pellets rest of the time. i know when its time to feed him casue he starts chasing the other 2 fish in the tank around.