frankthedolphintrainer

Automatic trickle water changer - Filtering Chloramine

Hey everyone I'm planning on building a automatic water changer for my discus tank. Im still at the planning stage so anything is on the table.

I currently run a 2 ft cube tank with a 50 litre sump. My current idea is to have an overflow on the sump that goes to a drain and then run a basic drip feeder doing about 20-40 litres a day, using a calculator i found on the net this equates to about 10-20% a day and 45-70% a week. The problem that i will have is cleaning the water before it goes into the tank. I have only ever used prime for the new tank water and never filters for removing chlorine and chloramines. Does anyone have experience with filters cost and brands?

Look into ro/di system which you can connect inline with your drip feed. A Descent one should only set you back about $150. Alternatively you could use a reef dosing pump to add the required amount of Prime throughout the day.

Nothing new really, we always end up paying more (most of the time). Anyway, those are the only ones that I know of selling systems claiming to be able to remove chloramines. But I think any filter with carbon should help in reducing it (not sure to what effect though). Try contacting the person selling the filter that matt suggested. I think the unit is from biopure/advancewaterfiltration. Its just that I don't recall them advertising it as removing chloramines. They do sell an inline filter for less than $100 also. Give us an update if you do contact them. Would be interested in their response.

Didn't expect shipping to be that much coming from the UK. I'm afraid the ones that have been suggested in this thread are the only ones that I can remember right now without the use of neutralisers like prime that are not going be overly expensive or complex to set-up. If your place is set up with rainwater + pumps supplying inside you house (like toilets, maybe you install a line to divert some of it to your tank ? Just throwing things out there, though this may present additional challenges.

An RO unit will remove everything from tap water, even chorine & chlorimine, why would you mix it back with tap water? I use only RO water with added minerals & I keep some very fragile species :egrin:

Edited by Betta

The whole concept is to set something up to do water changes without human intervention. Pouring straight RO water into the tank day after day will lead to disaster very quickly.

I still don't see what's wrong with the dosing pump, you'll end with the same quality water you're using now to do your waterchanges, you won't end up with anymore chemicals in the water if you set it up correctly.

Agree with matt that pure RO may harm the fish (depending on how good the RO unit is at removing stuff); which is why you either need to add in buffers/minerals like betta is doing or mix some tap water or RO "waste" water; in which case you may need a dosing set-up anyway like aqua has been suggesting all along - that's if you want an automated set-up. Also depending on the RO unit, it may/may not not remove all the chloramines - well that's what I've been told anyway by a couple of businesses selling water filters. But then again as long as it's minimal then you might be able to get away with it.

Well I did some quick math and now my brain hurts but if I was to go a dosing system im looking at 365ml of prime per year, thats if I flush 40 ltrs a day 365 a year. that cost is only about $14.60 a year. Even if im paying $150 ish for the dosing unit it still works out cheaper than the detox dechlorinator.

So does anyone have any recommendations for dosing units? I see alot of guys talking about litremeter 3's for marine are they anygood for fresh or just overkill..

Edit - I have also seen easily accessible Kamoer dosing pumps, they seem pretty good but costing about $300 AUD

Edited by frankthedolphintrainer