possum_chop

I need a lot of advice please - 3 questions possibly all related

Hi everyone.

I'll try to keep a long stories short. :) A lot of info I know but please bare with me and read it all. I would really appreciate some advice.

FIRST question

I noticed a few weeks ago worms growing out of my cardinal tetras which by process of elimination I believe are NEMATODES. Unfortunately I noticed this too late and several of my tetras had died already and (as fish do) had been picked at for breakfast.

I have dealt with the few tetras that had obvious signs of the Nematodes, but I've now noticed it has spread to my Rams and i'm afraid it's possibly through all my fish.

I've never had such a parasite before in all the years I've had tanks. I've thought back over the past few months and 99.9% of my fish (and plants) have been purchased at the auctions so I feel I hesitant about buying from them again. If it has come from there, it only takes 1 person to ruin it for everyone else. (shame because I love the auctions). The tetra's were the first to show signs of these worms and they were bought at the auction.

So my first questions is, does anyone know of a treatment i can do for the whole tank to treat these? I've tried salt baths, Pimafix and other Multi cure treatments. None of which have worked.

SECOND question

I've noticed teeny tiny small pin head sized white bugs darting back and forth in my sump (only in my sump, not in my tank).

I've asked a couple of Aquarium shops and no one knows what they are. They are too small to catch and take a video of sorry.

The all knowing google suggests it might be water fleas and that they won't harm my fish.

Does anyone have any ideas or information they can give me? It might even be lavae from a flying bug in which case that's fine. But i'd just like to know.

Perhaps this is causing the worms in the display tank????? I really don't know.

THIRD question

I'm randomly having fish die on me. One every few days. Mostly 1 of each breed.

I have a community tank. Some fish i'm sure don't belong with others (really wanted to downsize to only having one tank) but they all live together peacefully. I hardly see any fights except between members of the same breed.

I own

Electric Yellows

Colbolt Blues

Hongi

Demonsi

Fuelleborni

Brasiliensis

Red forest Jewels

Cardinal Tetras

Rams

Kribs

Bristlenoes

The largest would be the Brasiliensis at around 7cm (from nose to bum, not tail)

Up until bout 3 weeks ago I had almost no deaths (except the tetras and the worms) but lately I've woken up in the morning to find 1 dead Krib, 2x dead rams, 1x dead fuelleborni and some other tetras slowly one by one dropping off.

I thought maybe they someone is taking them out - being a bully, but none of these fish have signs of trauma. No bumps or bites. They're just belly up laying at the bottom of the tank.

Would people suggest it is just a pecking order happening between each breed? I have seen the rams fighting a while ago. maybe one boys what's to be by himself.

Or could it be these darn Nematodes and the fish just aren't showing the usual signs of the worms expanding from out through their scales.

Ph:- 7.6

Ammonia:- 0

Nitrate:- 0

Nitrite:- 0

Gh:- 89.5

Kh:- 5

Size of tank:- 5ft x 2ft x 2ft = approx 577L (not including 3 foot sump)

Temperature °C:- 24

Been running for:- several months

Filtration:-Canister/Sump/Internal Filter/Sponge:- Sump with Carbon, Noodles and added Macropore last week

Fish in tank:- as above

Plants in Tank:- unknown. green ones with long leaves haha

Feeding:- What food and How often - twice a day. try to give a mix of pellets and frozen food. Was told yesterday to feed more greens so going to coles today for those.

Recent Medication Treatments:- No mass tank treatments in this tank.

Last water change:- I took about 80-100L off last weekend.

Water change every Day/Weekly/Monthly - I try to take about 80-100L off every couple of weeks. Refill with tap water treated with water ager.

Thanks everyone. I'll appreciative any constructive advice.

Ammonia, nitrate and nitrite zero? Nope. Either you're reading wrong or you have a dodgy test kit. For parasites I always reccomend tetra parasite guard tabs. They have never failed me...so far.

Bugs in the water usually means you're overfeeding, ime.

looking at your fish list you will have troubles sooner or later with the big ones eating the littler ones, not sure that's the trouble now,

i'd treat the whole tank with something, not sure what, but i can't see any reason not to use what goneself has advised,

also think the readings might be wrong as above, you should have something thats above 0,

i wouldn't worry to much about the bugs in your sump, if you do, i'd put a guppy or something like that in the sump to eat the bugs, :)

i would like to add something about the auctions, everybody should have a hospital tank when buying any new fish, at an auction or from a known breeder, stress can cause things to show up, so even though the fish looked healthy at the time of sale, stress can affect them, the seller may not have known about the worms, that's why we should separate any new fish for as long as possible,

Yeah, water fleas are harmless, I've got them in a couple of tanks, don't bother anyone.

And might I suggest splitting your fish into 2 tanks?

Tank 1

Electric Yellows

Colbolt Blues

Hongi

Demonsi

Fuelleborni

Brasiliensis

Red forest Jewels

Tank 2

Cardinal Tetras

Rams

Kribs

Bristlenose

Because sooner or later, somethings gonna give.

Thanks everyone.

Glad to hear water fleas are harmless. I might borrow a guppy or two to get them under control in the sump :)

Thanks Goneself - the test was done at a Moray field Ultimate Aquarium and that's what they wrote down for me. I can't say much more about the results i'm afraid. And i'll buy some of the tetra parasite guard tabs too. Worth a try!

And yeah.... I know that the rams, kribs and tetras might become a problem.... I was expecting a comment about that lol. Thanks Yoda. I'm still learning about compatible breeds and made a mistake with those. As much as I adore them there might be give away in the future....

And Thanks Steveandjules. Like most things in life I've learnt the hard way. Now that I've downsized to 1 large tank I have equipment free to have a quarantine tank. How long would you suggest keeping them separate for in the future?

and i'll probably get back to the auctions - who am I kidding lol they're addictive!

I may have over looked it but ''when using medication remove carbon from your filters as the carbon will neutrelise the meds ,rendering them useless ,

if you have air driven filters turn the air up if possible ,,extra aeration will help reduce stress ,and increase oxygenation

whilst medicateing only feed you fish once a day or once every second day and only a minimal amount ,,as some meds can nock the good bacteria around and the last thing you need is extra waist in your system while fish are stressed

use what'' gonself'' has suggested and follow the instructions

for worms and paracites it is also adviseable to gravel vack daily until treatment is finished to remove the loose ones and reduce the risk of fish ingesting the worms try to remove extreamly minimal amount ot water other wise all you are doing is removeing the medication and then dylooting it with top up water try not to top up water if possible

Are the nematodes growing out of the fishes bums.

If so they are Callamanus worms and are deadly to all your fish in that tank.

They are easy enough to treat with the correct medication but will take a few weeks to do it as you need to keep re treating to kill the eggs.

You will need to treat with some Big-L Pig and Poultry Wormer at 1 ml per 7 liters of water.

Worms will start to drop out of the fish in about 2 hours and they will need to be removed from the tank bottom with a siphon hose.

Removing all the substrate is recommended so you can easily see the worms on the bottom and sterilize the substrate while it is out of the tank.

You will need to re treat every 2 weeks and 3 treatments all up will guarantee they are all gone.

Make sure you remove any carbon before treatment.

Big-L is available from most pet produce shops.

Thanks for the latest suggestions.

I've not seen any worms from bums. Only worms around the face and in one sad tetra's case, behind both eyes and lips.

I've known about the carbon and to remove it. I'll remove the macropore as well when i do a treatment. Thanks for the reminder tho.

I've not medicated the entire tank yet, just taken out the few sick fish that I can see are struggling and treated them seperatly but with no success. I'll get some of these other suggested medications too.

Also - Maybe I've read the test results wrong.

This is what the store wrote down from the test

PH - 7.6

NH3 - 0

No2 - 0

No3 - 5

GH - 89.5

KH - 5

Thanks

Sara

Just an additional note - Aussie123 - will that Big-L wormer work even if the nematodes aren't the bum ones you mentioned? Is it good for all worming of fish or only that specific symtpon etc? thanks!

Edited by possum_chop