hi all

i have a 240l tank, aqua one 980t, i have had an out break of white fungus, looks like cotton wool on the sides of the fish, seems to be under control now almost wiped out the entire tank. My question is i have live plants and plants on drift wood in there. Is it best to dump them all and start again or will they be ok to keep and slowly add fish again , well not for a month or so just to see if i got it all or not.

thanks

Sounds like columnaris.

I would keep the plants........ they sound expensive.

Which fish species do you have left?

What med did you use?

Can you test temperature, ammonia and nitrite?

What i have left now are 1 dwarf gourami 2 black widow tetras 1 sucking cat fish i was using pimafix and melafix did 50% water change after a week of meds ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 0 ph 7.6 high range ph 7.4 Kh 10 current temp is 27.6 usually runs between 27 and 28

Wow. Could just be saprolegnia. Did you notice any frayed fins, discolouration around the dorsal fin? Any cotton on the mouth? White lipstick? How many fish did it wipe out? Where did you buy them from? How do you clean your filter?

Edited by QldAquariumDesign

If everything is under control now, why start over? There's always gonna be some 'bugs' in any aquarium from different sources. Just keep up with your maintenance schedule and make sure everything is stable. Also make sure that there are minimum left over food. But if you decide to start over, I'd keep the plants and driftwood. There's no fungus growing on them right? If there is, they're probably rotting or there's other organic material on it. If you still want to start over, you can always soak your plants and driftwood in a potassium permanganate solution if you're worried.

Its likely a gourami or tetra that brought it in.

Next time you need to treat, consider dropping temperature down to 24degC

and adding some wardley fungus cure.

sure most the ingredients are anti-bacterial

but they tend to do the job nicely as depsite symptoms looking fungal, its usually a bacterial.

there was no discoloration no frayed fin just a white fungus just behind their pectoral fins on both sides. I know exactly where it came from but cant mentions names on here but it was from an online store. It wiped out 12 neon tetras 4 black widow tetras 1 dwarf gourami 1 sucking catfish 2 corys 12 male guppies (whom are responsible) i had the guppies in a different tank for 8 days with no sign of infection once relocated to the main tank within 2 days started losing fish fast. monitored water every 6 hours once added and no change to parameters. i clean my filters in the water i take out when doing water changes. also there is 3 of them in this tank so i only do 2 with each change and alternate them so not to wipe out good bacteria. thanks for all the replies very helpful

the supplier was in Qld but yeah i know now have learnt a very expensive lesson from it all. but i will rebuild slowly this time making sure all fish are Q'ed for a few weeks first thanks again for all the help