Karen

Oxygen - Transporting Fish

Hey Guys -

These days I don't have need for oxygen in fish bags, however when I was sending fish all over Australia I was using medical oxygen...

I am going to pack a number of boxes of fish shortly and can get oxy welding oxygen from my bro but whilst I have read on forums that's what they use... thought I would put it out here and see what you guys think, is this ok to use???

Thanks Karen

i know one thing. medical oxygen is produced by purifying industrial application oxygen. that means the industry stuff has impurities. what they are and how dangerous i dont know ;)

looking at the msds on the websites of providers this is the common statement "Oxygen : 100 % 7782-44-7 231-956-9 008-001-00-8 O; R8 Contains no other components or impurities which will influence the classification of the product". safe as houses. kinda makes you wonder the need for medical grade then ?

Thanks Butch for your knowledge and thanks Tuffy for the research, I guess in days gone by we did what was the norm, and hired medical oxygen bottles and used balloon fillers. (still have the balloon filler) Thanks guys appreciate your help you have saved me lots of $.

I also have used industrial grade oxygen for many years without any problems. I recall being told once that the much more expensive medical grade is virtually the same oxygen but is packed under sterile conditions to manage any risk of contamination. My view has always been that if there is a problem with a cylinder of industrial grade oxygen, I'll find out about it with the first bag of fish.

Cheers, Doug