Daharkazangel

What to put in my 2x15x15 with high filtration/flow rate???

I have a 2x15x15 that I can not seem to get a 'right' stocking for. It has a internal power head filter so the current is quite strong. It just seems too small for most fish. Can anyone give me ideas lol. Im kinda stuck and have been for ages lol. :roll::roll::roll:

chuck out the internal and throw a sponge in there on an airpump. will cost you $15.

THEN put whatever you want in there (with in reason :P)

(In general) internals are good for water flow but have alot to be desired when it comes to filtration.

If it was my 2ft, I'd have a pair of flame gouramis with a few plants and maybe a trio of bronze corys.

Tame the flow rate with a spray bar or a multi directional outlet. You can make your own from piping & tubing from Bunnings. Think about dispersion of the water so 3 or 4 x 5mm pieces of hose coming out of a tri or quad connector & retro fit to the outlet of the filter with rubber tube/hose or a connector depending on your filter. You can then stock it with whatever you want. Once my baby LF BNs grow up & sell off the tank they're in is a largish 2ft which is gonna be heavily planted & stocked with either a pair of small Apistos or a pair/trio of small Killies (hard decision, can't decide :D) then some red ember tetras, coral red pencils & heavily planted. It has a 800Lph canister filter on it but I lengthened the spray bar & widened the holes in the spray bar by 2-3mm. Flow is very reasonable but the water turnover remains the same so mech filtration is shmick, tank is crystal

chuck out the internal and throw a sponge in there on an airpump. will cost you $15.

THEN put whatever you want in there (with in reason :P)

(In general) internals are good for water flow but have alot to be desired when it comes to filtration.

If it was my 2ft, I'd have a pair of flame gouramis with a few plants and maybe a trio of bronze corys.

Love the enthusiasm Kasman but I kinda kill gourmais real quick, suss quality round here, and I have a 6 footer with like 30 corys so I need no more lol!!! I think I may need to change filtration tho, had a single male fighter in there and he was being blown all over. Ive tried guppys and they just get tired real quick. I did have a HOB but I killed it lol. Lost a part. And since ive put the 300lph filter in there the tank has been empty....what to do lol

Tame the flow rate with a spray bar or a multi directional outlet. You can make your own from piping & tubing from Bunnings. Think about dispersion of the water so 3 or 4 x 5mm pieces of hose coming out of a tri or quad connector & retro fit to the outlet of the filter with rubber tube/hose or a connector depending on your filter. You can then stock it with whatever you want. Once my baby LF BNs grow up & sell off the tank they're in is a largish 2ft which is gonna be heavily planted & stocked with either a pair of small Apistos or a pair/trio of small Killies (hard decision, can't decide :D) then some red ember tetras, coral red pencils & heavily planted. It has a 800Lph canister filter on it but I lengthened the spray bar & widened the holes in the spray bar by 2-3mm. Flow is very reasonable but the water turnover remains the same so mech filtration is shmick, tank is crystal

Apistos, LOADS here atm.....hmmmmmm sounds like a plan with a new filter. Maybe HOB again??? Oh wait I now have lids on all my tanks (Thanks fish junkie lol) and no room for a HOB :/ Hmmmmm sponge it is lol :P

I was going to suggest the spray bar and point it back to the wall of the tank. Never done it myself but had it suggested to me in the past by numerous people

Cheer

Trav

Spray bar against the glass will reduce the flow quite a bit but if she wants minimal flow then larger holes in the spray bar or a multi directional outlet is best. Spray bar pointed against the glass will cut the flow down a fair bit but if you wanted a fairly still tank then the pressure of released water needs to be minimised which can be done by widening the water outlets, making more outlets or a loooonnnggg spray bar. Think of the water pressure like a windy day blowin through a window. Large opening = easy movement of air but you close that window 3/4 the way or more & the wind starts whistling through at twice the speed. Same volume going through smaller gap/opening = higher pressure. Best way to slow spray bars IME is to widen the holes by 2mm or more & because they're plastic ya don't even need a drill. I do mine with a sharp pocket knife so I can also create higher flow points if necessary but a drill bit is more accurate if your not deft handed.

Lol, not many Apistos around sadly. I can get some German bred Agassizii in a couple months from a local. I've decided on a pair of fire reds if he can get nice ones (German bred more than likely nice, my old breeding pair was German bred & I still haven't seen a pair of fire reds as nice). I'll be placin the order in 2-3months & could probably get a few other types (long time to wait though, I'm just waiting for the last LF BNs to grow up & sell so I'm thinking 2-3months till tank change)

I have a similar sized tank with only shrimp at the moment, going to be moving those out and getting a pair of apistos, hopefully sometime soon :P. Arent marine tanks quite expensive to set up?

I have a similar sized tank with only shrimp at the moment, going to be moving those out and getting a pair of apistos, hopefully sometime soon :P. Arent marine tanks quite expensive to set up?

you can only have small inverts and fish with live rock for under or around $60 depending on species.

The expensive part is special lighting, corals and cooling systems ect.

All you would have to do is large WC once aweek or a fortnight. I have a 6gallon reef and all Do is WC.. I have no heaters coolers special lights or filters ect ect.

All I have is live rock, filter spray bar and starfish, dancing shrimps, pair clownfish, neon damsel.

Anything around 20L is so easy and cheap!!! Marine is like having live toys compared to FW fish.