linny

BAD day for my fish

so this morining i wake up to my girlfriend saying babe all the mdoka white lips are dead.i said WHAT!!!!and went out there and yep 6 out of seven are as still as a rock,all becuase i didnt plug the sump pump back in yesterday ima ****ing ****head,so ive decided to sell off what i have left and try find a new hobby,ive lost plenty of fish before but nothing like this as they were my pride and joy since 3cm(some were pushing 15cm till today).im gutted is the only way to put it.so if anyone has a colony of mdokas alrready you are welcome to have the last one (about 12cm)as he would love some friends again,he is looking very sad :(

I feel for you buddy, we've all lost fish sometime through our own fault, and its an awful feeling indeed. I wouldn't rush into getting rid of everything though, you may regret it once its all gone, and its a big job to set up again from scratch. Take a couple of weeks to let it sink in and work through the shock before you do anything.

Cheers, Doug

Sorry to hear your loss bud, but like they say "A Change is as good as a holiday!" Like DFishkeeper said, don't throw it away just yet, its like loosing you dog, you can be upset for a couple weeks once he has gone but you do end up replacing them with something new and different!

Yeah bruz it sucks but don't give up, I tried giving it away yrs & yrs ago after losing all my favourite Angels, Apistos & BNs after a flood blackout when I wasn't home, both tanks got no heat & no circulation for 20hrs+ during a flood blackout & all my best fish kicked it. I gave away everything then a few months later I was regretting it, another 2months went by with fishy plans rattling round my brain & I went & bought a small 2fter, planted it & stocked with sparkling gourami & Rummynose, thought "yeah, no expensive or delicate fish that'll tide me over." Then Apisto fever hit again & I was breeding Fire Reds Agassizii & Super Red Cacatuoides then the Malawi Mbunas & Peacocks, cut to now, 6 tanks (4 Tanganyikan 2 planted) & couldn't be happier (till I get more tanks anyway lol). I have started setting an alarm on my phone when I switch canisters off for BBS feeding, cleaning etc. as I had a few close calls myself, wake up in the morning & all poor fish at the surface gasping "oh **** forgot to turn filters on again" then a shot of BioAid to help with bacterial losses in the canister & all sweet. If its something you truly love then giving it up may be a short lived exercise as I found out. Hope whatever you decide it all works out mate, best of luck

Sorry to hear this buddy. I feel your pain. I accidently killed a prized sibling pair of perfect Betta's recently by overdosing some meds. I was so p!ssed off & annoyed at myself, and then sad for the poor fish I had destroyed. A few days of random tears & sh!ttyness followed. I won't be making that mistake again. Was truly awful... Don't give up, use it as a massive lesson learnt & give yourself a bit of time to take in what has happened before you make any rash decisions...

Yeah that is ****. i havent had any real big losses but i have only been doing this for 6 - 8 months, Maybe have a break. like shut down everything and give it a couple of months to see if u still really want to do it.

that means if u do want to start up again u dont have to worry about getting tanks etc u can just clean and fill them and away u go :)

i have accidently kill thousands of dollars if fish (including a colony of 12 frontosa). it sucks but don't give up all together. like the others have said you will want to get back into it down the track.

I lost many fish too. Probably more than anyone else over here.

Mollies, tetras, guppies, bettas were the first.

And then arowanas, gars, turtles jumping out of the tanks.

Recently killed a bunch of EBJD by overdosing on HCL to lower PH. I was stupid to try to lower PH from 7.0 to 6.0 with one go, and it caused a ph shock. Now I do in thirds, giving it a day after each dose.

Lost thousands of money, pissed off parents and myself. But it only made me more aware and careful.

Sorry about that mate

we have all had it happen and wanted to stop

I killed over 30 grands worth in one hit

and nearly put an axe through 100 tanks

But still plugging along

Goodluck Butch

That sux mate but don't rush into selling everything there is nothing worse then down the track when your setting it all up again thinking oh I used to have that etc and regretting it like crazy!

Sorry about that mate

we have all had it happen and wanted to stop

I killed over 30 grands worth in one hit

and nearly put an axe through 100 tanks

But still plugging along

Goodluck Butch

Sorry, did I hear correctly, 30,000????

What the hell!

And yeah, Linny, don't give up, I've recently killed a few fighters, EBJD and BN.. Plus my entire collection of Cherry Shrimp, but I feel crap for a while then get over it.

thanks everyone for you kind words,ive slowly been sellig everything anyway so this is just a thing to make me move it along i think.i was thinking of selling them a few feeks ago to but just couldnt bring myself to part with them,my plan was to just keep them ,my cuckoos and my clown loaches but that changed over night.another thing is they arent that easy to find but not rare.

I think many of us go through this for various reasons and get to the I give in stage. Most end up getting lured back.

Sometimes it is a good time to consider all the systems in place for keeping, and considering alternative fish, Consider the good lake in Africa, consider americans big or small, fighters, natives, softwater tetras, livebearers.....so much temptation.

I spent some spare time today thinking....Hmmm Marine.

Always something to get fired up again about.

Steve

While I recognise that this must have been a sad and stressful time for you, it would still be nice to keep your word and hold fish that you say you will. On Wednesday night I expressed interest in purchasing your electric blue colony to be picked up on Sunday. You said this would be fine, and as a result I sold half a tank full of fish to make room and cancelled my plans for Sunday in order to travel for pick-up. Yesterday I saw a reply to your thread stating that this colony had, in fact, been sold and picked up by someone else. I immediately messaged you asking if this was the case but was not granted the courtesy of a reply. Yeah, thank-you very much- not.

hey mabby 6

im so so sorry,as soon as i seen this i checked my sent items to copy and paste here but to my suprise i havent sent it(i say IT as i %100 wrote it).i will pm you now.again i am so sorry mate and hope i can make it up to you in the future.