Sign in to follow this  
becca

<-- Noob but now grandparent to approx 150+ cichlids

Hey guys/gals

Hubby bought some green terrors a little over a month ago. i didnt mind :) now one set have paired and spawned? if thats the right term twice now and another set have spawned once.... looking at selling one set and the spare female and keeping the original parents and then sell the fry when big enough :)

but what i would like to know is, is there some harder to breed american/african cichlids i could try? any suggestions? i have an almost 3ft tank then another 3ft tank. thinking i am going to need one of them for larger fry.

not sure where to go from here? better filters? what is a sump etc? bioballs??? omg there is so much to learn with these babies being thrown at us lol and the urge to do more now :D

Pls help

Get a bigger tank I reckon. Google images is great to see what fish you like the look of then search for breeding info. Great place to start and there's heaps of helpful (some a bit crazy but still very helpful) people on here with any advice you need. Some Americans you will need a bigger tank and a divider (egg crate grill is perfect) to keep them from destroying each other. I love big Americans they are so interesting and most have personalities like dogs :) Good luck with whichever you decide.

So many fish to choose from maybe look through pics on here, see what you like then try to source them or alternatively pick a location like one of the rift lakes (Malawi, Tanganyika, Victoria, some beautiful fish there & you could work your way up in difficulty by starting with Malawi peacocks, Mbuna, or Tanganyikan Tropheus or Shell Dwellers then work your way to trickier fish like Compressiceps & Calvus, Cyprichromis, Paracyprichromis, Pleurospilus or other sand sifter for Tanganyika or Malawi Trout, awesome predatory fish & B.E.Autiful) then as you work your way through the ranks your tank changes are minimal. If Americans are your taste but have no room for large tanks look into Apistogramma varieties. Most varieties of apisto have been in the hobby for a while & I would say they are a mid-upper mid range difficulty/upkeep. Just remember do your research & if you've got any Q's or probs don't hesitate to ask on the forum ;)

Anyway there's a few names for ya to search & btw welcome to the forum :)

thank you :) I will definately be looking up some of those names BigPete

Gringox you mentioned dividers and egg crate...... have looked for dividers and the places around here dont sell them anymore and to buy a sheet from bunnings and do myself is approx $50. Egg crates???? i have the fry tanks but the fry slip straight thru, including the netted ones. Maybe i need to source a better aquarium shop or any ideas on how to make a cheaper one?

now to find out more about filters and bio balls and all the weird named things ppl talk about lol

Some people on here sell eggcrate sometimes, I could never find it at Bunnings or Masters. You just need it to separate the parents while they get ready to spawn as they can get pretty nasty to each other. Put the male on the side the filter is on so the flow can push the sperm through. Put a flat rock close to the grille on the females side so she can lay her eggs on it. Alternatively sometimes you can keep an eye on them and remove the grille at the last minute to let them do their spawning ritual but keep watching as you may need to separate them again later. This is only for some American species.

thanks Gringox,

spoke to my local aquarium guy today and he said to source an electrician for some :)

also, my green terrors seem to be both great parents its just the other females in the tank that i was worried about... might have a buyer coming tomorrow tho for one set of parents and one or 2 extra females so happy about that... just a few other females to go then i can put all babies in the huge tank lmao if that is wise.

seems the ones with parents and no other fish in tank are doing great. feeding off the log in there already. :D super happy i dont need to put any extra feed in with them... they are great parents :) cant wait to set up other tank and source some other fish. will be great :)

Thanks again