i recently added 25 cardinals to my 6 footer and the majority of the tank mates have now got white spot. the tank contains corys, L066, bristlenose, darwin algae shrimp and the cardinals. Just wanting to know what the best cure for white spot would be for this tank.

thanks

Im not sure how you would go with the shrimp but in the past i have treated by upping temp to 30deg and adding salt daily for a couple of weeks, plus decent gravel cleans to remove larval stages.

I forgot to say if you choose this option you need to make sure there is plenty of aeration (less available O2 in warm water) and they may need to be feed and cleaned more (faster fish metabolism).

I used protozin to eradicate my white spot only took 6 days to clear! Didn't kill my crayfish or snails and left me water clear. Best stuff on the market I highly recommend using it fit best results

after some time of upping the the temperature and adding salt and seeing no results i ended up buying some 'White Spot Remedy'. I half dosed and followed the instructions on the bottle. the instructions said to half dose again after 3 days. I did this and woke up to a tank full of dead fish. pretty damn annoyed. guessing it was too much of the remedy for the fish to handle even though that is what it says on the bottle to dose. Out of all the fish i started off with I am now left with only 2 bristlenose and a cory.

How much did you add? In any tank you need to take into consideration how full of water the tank is and all the extra's (driftwood, plants, filters etc) that lessen the water volume by the space they take up (if that makes sense?)

I had a bottle of 'white spot remedy' that lasted for years & it always worked well for us, until I accidently overdosed a small tank by accident and lost a gorgeous pair of awesome plakats. It literally made me cry. I feel your pain buddy. Although a lot of people won't admit it, it happens to the best of us & unfortunately its a bitter pill to swallow and all we can do is learn from our mistakes.

I have since bought a small bottle of Cupramine from Pet City, although slightly more expensive to buy, you use less of the product, which inturn makes it more economical and its easier to dose at 1 drop per 4L.

i had a massive problem with white spot, and was using tri-salfor an adding salt, upping temp, reducing air flow but without much luck. it would come back after a week, then Donny @ AOA put me onto Protozin. it was a higher on the price scale but well worth it. i have yoyo & khuli loaches so i have to be carefull on what i use.

that was bout 3 or 4 weeks ago, no problems since then. safe for fry to. it has a little guide on the side of the bottle to tell you how much to use. it dosent just treat the symtoms but kills the bug to, which the other stuff wasnt doing, i had lost couple of fish due to it (guppies, an a couple of sword tails.)

what ever you do, good luck on getting rid of that pesky pest..

Edited by HannibalsMum

What temp was ur water at b4 and then what did you raise it to?? If you use copper in whichever tank you won't be able to have corals at a later date... And something you should let the buyer of the tank know if or when you sell it

the temp was sitting at 27-28 and i gradually raised it to 30-31. I am pretty sure i have gotten rid of the white spot now as there are no signs of it on the bristlenose and they are looking healthy again. will just keep the water changes up and try to get the tank back up to where it was. Thanks for everyones help