Sign in to follow this  
pearl

Black Diamond Quartz Gravel In Pleco/Catfish Tank?

Hello : )

Does anyone have Black Diamond Quartz Gravel in their Pleco/Catfish tank? I am just wondering if it is safe for them as I have recently purchased some and hoping it isn't too sharp for my bottom feeders. I haven't put it into my aquarium yet. I am after any personal opinions as to pro's and con's in having it in your aquarium.

Thanks in advance.

If you plan to breed them don't go too large or sharp a gravel type. The babies when they first come out of the cave & begin to forage mostly stick to the bottom constantly searching for food. Large/sharp gravel can pin/jam/squash/injure the babies if it shifts or a larger fish moves it, especially for the first few wks before their mini armour-plating scales are fully formed (they're very soft).

When I bred BNs (growing last 100 or so fry atm then no more) I used <1mm glass beads in the parent tank (as it was a display so I made it pretty), sand in the final growout tank (fish 3cm+, planted display) & bare bottom for the new fry tank (fish <3cm).

Hello : )

Does anyone have Black Diamond Quartz Gravel in their Pleco/Catfish tank? I am just wondering if it is safe for them as I have recently purchased some and hoping it isn't too sharp for my bottom feeders. I haven't put it into my aquarium yet. I am after any personal opinions as to pro's and con's in having it in your aquarium.

Thanks in advance.

I would really like to know how you went, as I have two Plecos and would like to get this gravel. But only if it is safe and will not cause them any harm. Would welcome any opinions on the best gravel for my tank for Plecos, though I plan to add more fish in future. The tank is large (180x60 base, 50cm tall). still undecided what additional fish will be added, the plecos are both 18-20cm long.

Hey rimmeraj : )

I ended up going ahead with the Black Diamond Quartz Gravel 18 months ago and haven't had any problems with it all. My Pleco and other fish are happy and healthy. It's also really easy to clean when doing a gravel vac.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

If you have any other questions, I'm happy to help if I can.

Hey rimmeraj : )

I ended up going ahead with the Black Diamond Quartz Gravel 18 months ago and haven't had any problems with it all. My Pleco and other fish are happy and healthy. It's also really easy to clean when doing a gravel vac.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

If you have any other questions, I'm happy to help if I can.

Thanks for replying, I have gone ahead and it looks great. so far they seem unconcerned by it. Very happy with how the colours of other rocks and the Pleco are brought out.

My only problem is that I did not get enough! looking for a place to get a bigger order in the future.

Sign in to follow this