rosequoll

Sexing purple-spotted gudgeons...sort of...

Need a bit of help sexing my new additions. I'm 90% sure the larger of the two is male, but need some help with the smaller. I'm hopeless at sexing these guys. =)

Also will be looking for good young adult pspots for breeding in the near future if anyone has some. The fish I'm unsure of is the same one in all photos.

Higher resolution photos can be found here:

http://i.imgur.com/0OmVxmOh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/nBVE0xvh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/QG2sbzRh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/IxwuLnDh.jpg

post-2772-14711629179929_thumb.jpg

post-2772-14711629180071_thumb.jpg

post-2772-14711629180201_thumb.jpg

post-2772-14711629180298_thumb.jpg

Edited by rosequoll

Behaviour is as reliable as anything with purple spots (unspotted purple spots?). If they're nearly breeding size and not trying to kill each other they're probably a pair. If you fatten them on some live food and throw a BN D-cave in there that might help clear things up...

I bred Clohesy R purplespots over Summer. I think there's still some hiding out in the tub.

Thankyou for clearing that up. I was a bit flabbergasted, they woulda been some record breaking firetails. :dance:

They're nice mate. I'm trying to breed PSG at the moment. Where did you get these? I've never seen them before.

I'm sure there's a few out there, but as far as 'recorded' I think there's been three that I know of. One a few years back and these two. A local crayfish farm/wholesaler had them pop up in their stock; I've asked them to let me know if any more show up.

If they're a pair i'll be working on breeding when they seem keen. We'll see if the resulting fry carry on the trait! I hope so, it'd be pretty fancy. I have no experience breeding PSG so it's a learning curve for me as well. They're in my large display at the moment but will likely get their own tank soon, just need to get an old breeding tank drilled for filtration.

Nice man i'm following this for sure! i have 4 at te moment and I think 2 have paired off, the other 2 were swimming around each other and flaring their gills out last night so we'll see how that goes. What are you planning to feed fry in early stages? I was thinking Infusoria because I have no idea how to culture copepods.

Aww, be nice grubby. They think you're pretty bland too. =P

As for feeding fry, haven't a clue yet! Brine? Worms? Infusers? Ill sort it out when I get closer to breeding. =)

Haha, guys, they really are purple spots. I promise.

Grubby, they popped up in spawns at a local crayfish farm that does feeder gudgeons and pspots and perchlet. Assuming just a colour mutation, will be breeding to determine if its a reproducible trait and if it's recessive.

Even without the spots, I think they're beautiful. Grey in low light, purple/violet under LED lighting.

Hey Rose, I have a pair of PSG in my Turtle tank! You can go through my posts as i have one about them spawning on my internal filter, if you cant find it you are more than welcome to come around and have a look yourself considering I live in the next street from you! lol I came to you place along time ago and collected your other halfs last Goby that he had, so yeah pump me a pm if you like, I will be home this arvo and tomoz but after that I am in the Whitsundays for a week! Let us know! :D

Can't seem to work out how to pm you from my phone. If you wanna toss me a message with your mobile ill text you later! Would love to pop past. I'm off to straddie myself tomorrow until the weekend.

The larger fish is definitely a male, its 2nd dorsal is quite pointed posteriorly (a good indicator). I often sex Mogurnda by looking at their genital papillae, the males have a slender pointed "breeding tube", whereas the females have a blunter breeding tube. I'm guessing your two are both males, but couldn't get a clear enough look. Fyi, I came across similar unspotted gudgeons about 10 years ago, which originated from a fish breeder in FNQ, there's an article in ANGFA's Fishes of Sahul on that fish. Those fish spawned and the fry grew to look exactly like their parents. Interesting that the same mutation should appear in SE Qld. Gunther Schmida also recently had a specimen, from the same source as yours, his was also a male.

Thanks Glenn, the larger of these two is actually the one that Gunther had, I assumed male from the photos I saw (he was guarding the eggs). I'm a bit worried about having two males only because if it is a recessive trait, that means breeding these two to unrelated females...and then growing the fry...and then breeding those offspring to get more uncoloured. Not an issue, I suppose, just more time and space required. I've asked the crayfish farm and the guy that packs up the orders to let me know if they find any more; hopefully a female will pop up somewhere.

Do you know what happened to those fry from 10 years ago? Mostly for my curiosity of course. =)

They lingered for awhile in the hobby, Bruce Hansen up at Cairns had them going for a number of years, not sure if he still has them. I think the rest would have disappeared fairly quickly. I donated the last of mine for dna testing, from memory they conformed to typical coastal NQ M.adspersa. I found mine were a bit nippy and the novelty of Mogurnda without spots wore off after awhile! I still have a strong interest in wild populations and variations therein of Aussie Mogurnda, I've got about 20 different lineages at home, mostly from FNQ, but also from elsewhere in Oz. Cheers!!