rosequoll

Sexing purple-spotted gudgeons...sort of...

Ha, your hugo is a beast!

Interesting thing though Glenn, this p.spot here I had that I was sure was a male (I gave him away to a friend when it got a bit too cheeky with the lungfish) turned out to be a female. Proven as well, when she laid a few times in my friends tank. I think, perhaps, she was a little obese (she kept eating massivore pellets and homemade food meant for the lungfish)

post-2772-14711629300935_thumb.jpg

My passion is definitely my lungfish, but I really adore gudgeons. I'm on a hunt for snakehead gudgeons if they can possibly be found for sale (no luck yet, I miss my old pair with a passion) and I really adore these unspotteds. They get their own tank soon. =)

You should try Mappin's at West End. I haven't been in six months but last time I was there they had quite a few different tanks of gudgeons. My memory could be off but I'm pretty sure that was the last place I saw snakeheads.

Reviving this thread - Is there any truth in the head shape of PSGs as  guide to sexing ? I have 2 which I think are male & female.

Following some internet research and discussions, the more pointed heads are the females. I have attached a pic of my pair in the tank, they are the same size, male on top.  

Any comments from experienced breeders ??

Thanks.

M and F LHS PSG 003_25.JPG

I have found an "in-depth" paper on breeding wild PSG's in NSW. 

"This paper reports a study at the Inland Fisheries Research Station, Narrandera in the 1960s"

Happy reading of the attached - for those Southern PSG enthusiasts.

az.2006.021_PSGs.pdf

Success !! Looks like I got most things right. I now have 200+ baby psgs in the tank. Eggs were laid on the back tank glass. I am feeding them newly hatched brine shrimp and/or ground up dry fish food.

Nice one.  Watch out for canibalism as they grow... if one or two start to get bigger then the others its because they are eating their tank mates!

Thanks for the tip. I might need some cannibalism to help with over crowding in the 50 litre tank, or feed some back to the parents. Or let some loose in the local creeks to increase the native  population. My local creek has mostly  green swords, guppies and gambusia !!

Hopefully I have done something  for the psg population - I have released most of them into the local creeks - they were 4 months old, about 1 inch. I put them in Salvin Creek, Hemmant quarry and Bulimba Creek.