I know there are a million threads on this but I can't find exactly what I need!:pout:

In looking at putting a sump on my 5ft display. Afew questions.

1. Where should I drill the holes, how many and how big? I want to work on baulkhead overflows on the back panel.

2. What would be a recommended size for the sump?

3. I currently have a jebao 6500LPH pump, will this work well for this?

Thanks for all the help!

Okay this is just my opinion

1. In my 5/2/2.5 display I had three 25mm bulkheads in the top right back corner I drilled them as high as I could so the bulkhead fit under the lid support. ( I use a 40mm hole saw for 25mm bulkheads)

2. On the above tank I had a 4/18/18 sump but this was a marine tank and this depends on the lay out of the sump

3. 6500lph seems like a lot of flow but what are your tanks dimensions again on the above tank I had 5000lph but it was routed to three inlets along the back of the tank.

Clint

Thanks Clint! Pretty covered it all. I was thinking of doing 3 bulkheads, would spreading them out make it any better or worse?

Also do you think a 3 foot sump would cover my tank?

The dimensions are 123x42x37, off the top of my head.

That would be awesome Steve, I will send you a text tomorrow sometime.

If they are the dimensions it's a 4 foot tank mate and would be around 200 litres if that's the case I think you would get way with 3/15/18 sump easily for eg I have a 4/2/2 a 3/2/18" and a 1m/60/45h tank run off a 3/18/18 sump. Stopping in to see Steve is defiantly a good idea mate be warned though you will end up buying something while your there for sure lol !!!

So I got home and actually measured the tank! Its 152cm long, 50cm high, 36cm wide. So that's defintley 5foot, how will the pump do with those dimensions or is it still overkill?

Yeah I will definitely be seeing steve! Haha I know, I have already bought a tonne of shrimp and peppermints.

no worries nathan, i'll be in and out all day, but we can arrange a time to suit,

the other option you have is to bleed back to the sump, if your pump is to big, i do that on most my sumps,

i think your 3 ft sump will be easy big enough, i have a 4ft sump running 2 x 1000ltr ibc's,

by having 3 bulk heads that will give you heaps of flow,

Yeah I worked out that 3x25mm bulkheads will give me around 6000LH flow. Which I think is very good?

I've mocked up a quick sketch of what I want it to look like, how much do you reckon that would set me back?

Also is it better to just buy some glass and put my own baffles in or just get someone to do it?

post-9417-14711629230865_thumb.jpg

New questions:typing:

1. I'am thinking of doing 2x40mm bulkheads, I feel this will just suit my setup better. Question is, what is the hole size that need's to be cut?

2. How easy is it to do your own holes? I really dont want to crack my tank:puke:

3. If it is do-able, where would I get a hole cutter? If not - who/where would you recommend getting it cut?

So many things to think about, now onto modifying my stand to fit everything:whip: