malawicichlids

*PLEASE HELP* how long till my malawi fish start breeding

hi, I wanted to know how long will it take for my malawi cichlids to start breeding. i have had them for about 3 months and have breeding colony's in there (electric blue, electric yellow and acei tanzania) the tank is clean and i change 10% of the water every week in my 212L tank. the PH is around 7.5 - 8.0. sometimes i see the male's dancing infront on the female's but nothing happens. I feed them fronzen brine shrimp once a week (feed them some today) the fish are healthy and show no signs of sickness. *PLEASE HELP*

cheers,john :D:):o:lol:

Patience Grasshopper :roll:

Sometimes it just takes a while for it to happen. There could be a million different reasons why they aren't popping out little'uns yet.

They may not be 100% comfortable in the tanks, the tanks might be getting to much sunshine or not enough light, they mightn't really like the other fish in the tank with them etc etc etc.

Others will be able to give you more detailed explanations I am sure, but sometimes it will just happen when it happens :wink:

Hi John,

The wonders of nature :) There really isn't a definitive answer to your question. Breeding is a natural occurrence for your fish, and when the female is well conditioned and has developed eggs, and she and a male are both ready, they will breed. All you can do is try and provide the right environment for this to happen. I have had fish that will breed in one tank in my fishroom and not in others, some fish have preferred tanks on the top shelf, and others on the bottom row, some a bright tank and others a gloomy tank, some a crowded tank with other fish, others a less populated species tank, some like a flat breeding platform, others a rock to hide under or behind..........................and so on

If your water quality is good, and your fish are well fed and conditioned, all you can do is to experiment with the tank environment until you find the trigger for those fish. To me that is half the fun and adds to the sense of satisfaction when you finally crack it :D

Cheers, Doug

Just a few questions.

What size are the fish in question?

How many of each colony are there in the tank?

What are the m/f ratios?

How is the tank set up?

I would up water changes too. When I had 4ft mbuna set ups, they got 40litres new water a week.

Try mysis shrimp when you run out of brine shrimp. From what I have read it is better for mbunas.

Frenchy :D

I think to many different mixes for them all to breed happily. In small 4 footers, I used to just have 2 breeding species.

Then add the other 6 or so fish you have, make it harder species to breed as well. Add to that aceiis & electric blues get to a bigger size. I would suggest looking for a 4x2x2.

Frenchy :D

i have a mixed tanked as well and nothing ever breeds in that tank. i have my breeding yellows in a tank of their own now and they breed ok in there. had one girl have a mouthful every month for the past 2 or 3 months. so they seem to be happy on there own now.

in agreeance with everyone else here but might I add I rarely buy large breeding fish notice I did say rarely always grow my own from young fry I have purchased. This way they get used to your way of doing things. Also Patience is a virtue especially in aquaculture it has taken me a long time to learn this.

Did you think that maybe its the other males

Butting in while the other fish acies can be a pain when my fish are trying to mate so I have a lot of rock work with a few caves so the pairs can hide away and do what they do best

And 1male to 3 girls is the way to go 2 boys to 4 girls might lead to problems

Roo