Im a big fan of these guys and Im currently working on having a nice variety of groups as for me personally I don't like keeping groups that are too similar in appearance....Ive currently got mpulungu and red moliro and have cherry spots due any day now so hopefully the cool variations keep coming...just want to hear others thoughts on some of the variations out there...Im not really too concerned about the man made variants that stem mainly from Asia..I can appreciate a pretty fish and understand the principle but I enjoy all the beautiful wild varieties that are out there..especially when we can bring them in to the country...so guess this is a thread to discuss and show off your tropheus..what do you enjoy about them?..what do you think of the man made variants?....Im also pretty keen on the lime spots...and the canary cheeks...2 variants I hope to add to the collection asap...nothing beats a colourful aggressive vegetarian :dance::dance::dance::dance:

tropheus.jpg

tanganjikaharitasiyo4_zps8d2484c0.jpg

Edited by goldenswimmers

Great thread to get going. haha. Tropheus are my second fav fish after cyphos.

IMO there is nothing better than a large tank with a big colony of Tropheus, they are so active and colourful. They just never stop moving.

Lime spot and red cheeks are 2 i would really like.

But this tropheus is cool.

post-5332-14711629305005_thumb.jpg

post-5332-14711629304858_thumb.jpg

Troph's are great mate! I love my Chilanga's, they have a much nicer colour to the compare to Moliro's or others that are similar! I used to have some green face (I think thats what they were?!?! :S ) that I got from Shon, but unfortunately I lost those beautiful little guys, was a sad day!

That first one is a great variant map man, wow. I just look at it in amazment at all the different colour variations in the one lake. srsly its unbeleivable.

[MENTION=3737]kasman[/MENTION] & [MENTION=2649]goldenswimmers[/MENTION] I like this map too, got this on my wall at home here! I alsom remember what those Green Faces were, they were Murago's! Super Pretty!!

Tropheusmurago2.jpg

1471-2148-7-137-1-l.jpg

Edited by Shanoz

You know when a Tropheus dedicated thread started on ACE, it caused a massive st-storm. So a dedicated tropheus forum was started, just sayin, lol

Anyways As you can guess by my user name I am pretty keen on Tropheus, but so far have only kept about 10 different colony types... As the Op as stated there are heaps of really nice colour variations.. But you don't want colonies that look too simliar given the selection we have got , I have posted a list I am building of the known varients in Australia in my breeders page ( and on the Tropheus site), and will tag it at the end here..

Teh way I pick a variety, is to look at the bigger groups, thats is Blacks, Reds, Rainbows, Moorii, Duboisi, Polli, Brichardi. Look in these groups and pick your favorite. This way you can end up with a dozen or so colonies that look quite different from each other.

Currently I am Keeping:

2 Tropheus moorii Murago green

45 Tropheus brichardi "Katonga" F2/F3

22 Tropheus Duboisi "Maswa"

15 Tropheus Moorii "Ilangi" F1/f2

20 Tropheus Moorii " Lufubus" purple rainbow Wilds

30 Tropheus Moorii "Chilambo" yellow rainbow F1, + 2WC

23 Tropheus moorii "Mpulungo" F1

32 Tropheus sp. Red "Kachese"

11 Tropheus sp. Black "Kiriza"

Most people trout on about species specific tanks, and while it is easiest and safest way to do it, they can be part of a community tank, with precautions. The easiest way is to include fish that have similar diets and temperaments, such as the three genera of gobies, Petrochromis and simochromis (But some can be nasty!) The important part is impeccable water quality, regular water changes, and a VERY good quality food..

A link to my breeders page, and more info.

http://www.qldaf.com/forums/trofius-breeder-registry-rockhampton-tanganykans-cichlids-169/what-i-do-my-tropheus-92804/#post618541

Blacks

Kiriza

ikola

bemba

bulu points

Duboisi maswa

Duboisi Kigoma

Brabant rutunga

Reds

moliro

chimba

chipimbi

Kachese

Ndoles

Chilanga

Kiku

Rainbows

Mpulungus

Lufubu

Kasakalawe

Chilambos

Linangu

Nkondwe

Chatika

Kasanga

Wampembe

Linangu

muzi

musanga

Brichardi

Katonga

Ulwili

Bulombora

mpimbwe red cheeks

Kabimba

Ujiji

namansi reef

kavalla

kipili

Korongwe

malagarasi

Annectans / polli

Kakese

Kavalla

Moorii

Murago

Katoto

Kapampa

golden kazumba

golden kalambo

Ilangi

We all wish

M'toto

livua

Leuba

Edited by trofius

Love your work trofius :hail: and I guess im following your lead as I prefer to have noticeably different groups...I have one variety from the blacks,reds and rainbows and hopefully soon the brichardi and annectans will be covered too...

what do you think of the the fiery fry variety????...what true name would cover this variety(brichardi im guessing is the group)??

I noticed you have "we all wish" group..how hard would these be to import?????

The namansi that Jim has are brichardi. There are moori namansi on Grants list as well (they are a reddish colour)

the wish list fish, well apparently they are kinda rare in the lake and would have to be requested and a long wait needed.. Cost might be scary..

look em up a few people in the states have them very nice...

Oh and like efc mentioned there can be different vaireties at the same locations, can make things interesting.

I think petros are the big sellers now.

yep red bulu petrochromis for me please sir but still think a nice variety of tropheus are out there and definitely much cheaper...don't know why but tropheus seem to remind me of marine fish a bit..the activity levels and the way they hug rock formations(but hey just my opinion :ranger:)

Im thinking of doing some tropheus towers :dance: 3 tiered 3x3s with some rock like mountains in there and a different variety in each tank...

I don't know its hard to beat the classics. nothing beats Good quality Bemba with bright red straight bars and pitch black heads and tails but their bloody hard to find.

post-3953-14711629307212_thumb.png

Thats first pic of the Leuba is awsome and makes them look very classy!, as a group its hard to say, and maybe not fair, but they do just look like a colony of any other black, a few stand out males and ....others

A fish like that needs to be displayed like that, with a nice open contrasting decor.,

some Leubu lack the yellow saddle, so must be selective with stock if saddle is to be desired, so many awesome Trophs out there though, i just stripped a good few free swimming fry, with 82 Ikola growing again now, just made a trip to Brissy with 75 :)

yep red bulu petrochromis for me please sir but still think a nice variety of tropheus are out there and definitely much cheaper...don't know why but tropheus seem to remind me of marine fish a bit..the activity levels and the way they hug rock formations(but hey just my opinion :ranger:)

Im thinking of doing some tropheus towers :dance: 3 tiered 3x3s with some rock like mountains in there and a different variety in each tank...

They're just the Surgeonfish in the marine world!!

My olivaceous tang behaves and sort of looks like a Tropheus

so they're the marine fish I'm addicted to right now lol, because they are like Tropheus but also they're also known as "Tangs" lol

trofius, i have Kirschfleck Bulu 65,Ilangi 41,Moliro 32, Katoto 21 but bumping them up to 30odd very soon, Ikola 2x colonies 70, Kasanga 30, Lufubu Real 26, getting Maswa soon 30+ and who knows what else may appear