Tazzabro

Best way to clean the surface of sand in bottom of tank?

I have straddie white sand in the bottom of my tank and I cleaned the crap out of it before putting it in. But now there is like fish poo and little bits of stuff on the surface of my sand (just normal fish waste nothing special here) and I wanted to use a gravel cleaner but apparently sometimes they are too strong and kick up the sand etc.

Can anyone recommend a good sand cleaner for me or a rock cleaner that is weak that wont pick up sand?

X5^^^

Yeah mate just a regular siphon, if you don't have much hose or tubing just go to bunnings & grab a length of CVT (Clear Vinyl Tubing), food grade so no chems or tox to worry about & it's nice & flexible. Can get in around rocks, under towers, every nook & cranny :)

Got hardly anything in there at the moment just a catfish and a red tip black shark in a 270 L tank. Getting some more fish this weekend hopefully.

Would good old garden hose do it? otherwise ill have to go get some CVT

Yeah garden hose will work as long as there's been no fuel or chems siphoned with it. I just like the CVT cos it's very flexible, durable, clear & I also use it for DIY sponge filters, DIY canister filter piping, DIY spraybars, lots of stuff. Just good stuff to have around as you can pour boiling water through it to soften, then stretch ends around intakes, outputs, etc. you can bend it to a required curve or pull it straight then cool the tube at said angle/curve/straight line in a tub of cold water. It then retains the shape it's cooled in. Great stuff :)

What's your filtration mate? Only 2 fish & you're getting waste buildup = lots of buildup when tank is fully stocked.

I've got a custom 2.5ft 200L tank with 7 young T. Moliro (waiting for a 3rd bloodline then they're goin into a 4ftx2ftx2ft tank), 1 BIG ole pep BN male & a crimson spot rainbow dither & even if I leave their water change for 2wks (very rarely) I don't get waste buildup, maybe see a string or 2 somewhere but I have to look hard.