Carib

Gas pockets in substrate

So I've seen lots of bubbling from my substrate and I figure I have some denitration going on in the deep layer as after water changes I smell a bit of sulfide, so I figure I've got some anaerobic bacteria down there. From what I've read this can only be a good thing but wondering what you guys think. Especially about the sulfide smell. Doesn't get too bad and settles a day or two after the water change.

I currently do weekly 50% changes, don't really have time for anything more frequent.

Substrate is byron white approx 6-7 cm deep.

Thoughts?

I would say if you don't disturb that lower layer, it might be ok as it will help breakdown nitrates, but water changes will get rid of nitrates easier. If that bottom layer is disturbed, the nitrogen can kill ur fish.

If its bubbling from the surface, it sounds like algae isdoing the photosynthesis thing. Some plants with long roots will get down there and help get rid of it to a degree as, I've found, its a bit of fertilizer aid. Don't know what Byron white is but if its sand like, it will compress and aid in the buildup of nitrogen gas.

What fish do you have?

Is there a reason why you need such deep substrate?

Sand is hard to clean as you can't syphon/vac it properly, if you can find any freshwater mussels i would recommend adding a couple, there was someone on here selling some a little while ago, they will "help" filter and move the sand around.

When water changing i would slowly move around some sections of the sand but syphon out any bubbles you see popping up, if they are nitrogen gas bubbles as [MENTION=5418]thatsright99[/MENTION] said

It's an American community, and fish seem to enjoy sifting the substrate

Seem to recall a few threads where people cautioned against mussels as they seemed to randomly die off and spike nitrates.

Doesn't seem to be too difficult to siphon I just do it into a big ole plastic strainer and collect the crap and dump it, put all the sand back in.

Don't have any plants, just fine sand.

From the old biology and chemistry days if regular air has got 78% nitrogen and constantly equilibriates at the surface are a few bubbles of nitrogen generated by the substrate really going to affect the dissolved nitrogen?

I was more concerned with the sulphides and was wondering since my nitrates are testing almost non existent should I ease back on water changes to let the bacteria have nitrate substrate instead of sulfa?