I've had a few people Tell me that tallebudgera creek, Has a population of plecos.

I have always wondered about small scale farms, especially ones producing elodea as they always seem to have a healthy population of cherries in them And I could imagine they would thrive around here. If they were to flood over..

locally in Rockhampton I have caught burtonii in a local pond botanical gardens type area,, when i showed the grounds keepers they drained it and erradicated them all.

there was also convicts and jewels in another botanical gardens japanese setup, They actually out competed the 2-3 foot koi!!!! this aggravated the ground keepers, again drained and erradicated...

I have not looked in years but i can guess the local creeks would have something in them...

These people destroy it for the rest of the hobby, resulting in more and more fish being added to the pest / noxious / not allowed to import lists.. If it breeds easy,and fish shops dont take them, and people are to "kind" to euthanaise them so off to the creeks..

I also wonder how many of these fish are the result of outdoor ponds being compromised during a flood event????

So trofius... That was you that got the kershaw gardens pond ( in the middle) drained... I came up from brissy to catch them... The val was good. Oh.. beware on the southern? End of that little bridge there's a brown snake that makes its home there in the rocks- atleast used to. Told the council and they dgaf!!

lol hmm, this was about 15 years ago, i used to live beside the creek and could just walk over the causeway to the gardens.

AT the time the creek beside the gardens was full of pacific blue eyes, its why i had the nets there in the first place.

On the weekend I was out at Clay field Aquariums checking the place out and I happened to glance into the drain next door to see three large Jack-Dempsey looking guys around 15-20cm. Not 100% certain as I was a fair way away and I would've taken photos but the phone doesn't zoom to well. But still, something of the sort.

Unfortunately yes Trofius, many pest fish established in the wild are the result of ponds/dams that have been inundated or overflown during flood events. It is illegal to release or cause the release if non-indigenous fish into Queensland waters. This is the case even during extreme flood events, as Queensland has recently had. Measures must be taken during such events to ensure ornamental fish are contained and cannot escape.

On the weekend I was out at Clay field Aquariums checking the place out and I happened to glance into the drain next door to see three large Jack-Dempsey looking guys around 15-20cm. Not 100% certain as I was a fair way away and I would've taken photos but the phone doesn't zoom to well. But still, something of the sort.

I saw these yesterday too!!

Hopefully I get one of the rods out this weekend and can catch thee ones near my place, like I said the look like the shape of jag or dovii and are 30cm+ easy, What to do if I catch them thoe.... I have no quarantine tank.

Hopefully I get one of the rods out this weekend and can catch thee ones near my place, like I said the look like the shape of jag or dovii and are 30cm+ easy, What to do if I catch them thoe.... I have no quarantine tank.

Kill it

Kill it

Yeah thats the law but come on im helping the ecosystem and saving the government money by removing them, no way im killing a larg jag or Dovii crusty.......if they have good clour ill keep them somewhere.

NO not in fresh water

Need to get some barbless lures or make some cause there is turtles in the same area......dont wanna hook 1 ad it is let alone with a barb, same goes for the big ass eel

Hmmm that quoting didnt go as pland...

Edited by zorbadundee
add

No, the use of cast nets in fresh waters is not permitted. In areas where pest fish species are established in large open water bodies manual removal is not considered an effective way to reduce their populations. In other words, the risks of people having an adverse affect on native species and the aquatic environment by netting fresh waters is too high for the minimal (if any) long term reduction of the pest fish populations. Tilapia are well established throughout the Brisbane River catchment since being illegally released in the 70's. No technology is available to effectively eradicate or manage these fish in such a catchment. Re-invasion always occurs after flow events or by human assisted translocation.

Dani

Mrs Fisheries :)

THanks Dani, I couldn't cutnpaste that to here... Can you also clear up the Marino balls. You told me they were legal but can you put that up here too please, and/or in the plant section too. Thanks, you have such a sweet voice BTW too :)

That is the problem - there is no successful way to remove pest fish like tilapia long term that are established in large, open water bodies with the technology we currently have available. Considering most pest fish incursions are the result of human assisted translocation, Fisheries Queensland focuses resources on educating the public. Education includes correct identification and reporting of pest fish sightings (to aid in early intervention if possible) as well as the rules regulations (i.e. not moving or releasing pest fish species).

Not sure if you want this post here... Marimo - if we are talking about Aegagropila linnaei then they are not listed as a pest plant in the Land Protection (Pest and Stock Route Management) Regulation 2003. You are permitted to have that species in your possession.

Cheers,

Dani

s/dumped fish

Hi, Gill nets are unauthorised apparatus in freshwater systems in Queensland unless operating under a general fisheries permit. Currently there are no permits issued for gills nets for the purpose of noxious fish removal. Gill nets (and many other apparatus) are indiscriminate and adversely affect native fish species. Unfortunately manual removal (using nets0 of pest fish species such as carp, tilapia and gambusia is not successful and does not reduce pest fish population numbers long term. Therefore the benefits do not out way the risks. Currently there is no technology available to us to successfully reduce pest fish numbers, once they become established in a large, open waterbody and are considered impossible to eradicate and very difficult (if at all) to manage. In the Brisbane area, any management effort is quickly removed after a flow event as tilapia is common throughout the entire catchment and quickly reinvade.

Marimo moss - do you mean Aegagropila linnaei . If so they are not declared as pest under the Land Protection (Pest and Stock Route) Regulation 2003. You are permitted to keep it in your tanks :)

Hope this info helps. Dani

Jan 2013 Brisbane Queensland 20 1 Post(s) 0 Thread(s)

Fisheries Queens s/dumped fish

Edited by thatsright99
first ever cut n paste and it doubled up ....

I dont see why you carnt you are ment to kill them once u catch them anyway.

it encourages people to release them. i.e. to catch them later for food after they grow/reproduce.