mbunamad

My elect blues wont breed!!

Hi all,

I have 2males 12cm 4females 9cm of elect blues. They wont breed. They are in 5x2x2 tank with elect yellows [have bred] venustus [have bred] pindani [have bred] One of the males digs pit etc no mouthfulls. PH is 7.5 Appreciate any advice you can give.

Brian

I had a similar problem with my E.Yellows but when I raised the PH from ~7.5 to 8.0+ they've been breeding like rabbits.

I just use common Baking Soda (aka Sodium Bicarbonate) to raise it, little bit at a time over a few days, and have to replace it each water change to keep PH up.

We added some slate as well to help keep the pH up there. This and the calcium bicarb will get your tanks up around 8.0 to 8.2. Check the pH 24 hours after addition of the calcium carb as it will be more acurate, it takes a while to stabilise. Do it slowly, about 1 teaspoon a day disolve it first and then check a day later before adding again. If you add the slate at the same time your pH will be ok in a few days time. The slate leaches slowly so it helps to maintain a stable pH.

Epsom Salts (Magnesium Sulphate) raises the General Hardness too.

But remember while using your Baking Soda to raise the PH, it'll raise the Carbonate Hardness (KH) also.

I guess that's why people usually say "raise the PH" to fix everything, as doing this also raises the the water hardness, which raises the happiness of the fish and usually means some breeding. :wink:

Wow. Never knew that about slate - good one Wombat. :D

I have used slate in plenty of tanks before and havent ever had it raise PH

From what I have read its PH neutral and wont have any effect on your PH

Id raise your PH to around 8

Use Calcium Carb or shell grit should get you pretty close

Or get into the Seachem Buffer and salt range

Though might get alittle expensive

Brad

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/buffer_recipe.php

RIFT LAKE BUFFER RECIPE

Ingredients

Epsom Salt

Marine Salt

Baking Soda

Instructions

For every 5 US Gallons of water, add 1-tablespoon Epsom salt, 1-teaspoon baking soda, and 1-teaspoon marine salt.

This is roughly what I use, I use slightly less as water here on the coast isn't to bad.

ps; I use normal slat to as I am a cheap bas....

ps again; Also remember to only raise ph with water changes.

Frenchy :D

Thanks Fishiefishie. I did water change friday & added 1 teaspoon of

bicarb. Today sunday PH is 8.00. I always add pool salt with water change.

100 grams per 100 litres of water. Hardnes is 120ppm. Should i try & raise hardness with epsom salts?

Cheers Brian.

Thanks Fishiefishie. I did water change friday & added 1 teaspoon of

bicarb. Today sunday PH is 8.00. I always add pool salt with water change.

100 grams per 100 litres of water. Hardnes is 120ppm. Should i try & raise hardness with epsom salts?

Cheers Brian.

I'd wait and see if they breed first.

Mucking around with water chemistry can be a tricky exercise and can sometimes end in disaster if you aren't experienced with it (which I'm not, which is why I don't too much! :lol: )

So I'd be happy with getting the PH to 8.0 for now and wait and see what happens. :wink:

thats very strange that the pH of your water went so high after you added slate wombat...because as brad said slate is chemically neutral

interesting chemical reaction you have there.....but i think old mate who told you that it "raises" pH was pulling your leg....

good luck with the breeding of the Electric Blues mbunamad...hope all goes well

All i did was turn up my heater to 28 degrees, and feed them frozen food for one day and she started up.....

Water was good, ph at around 8.0....

Keep at it my blues are very fickle, they'll do it when they wanna... lol