RR8TED

Strange behaving cichlid

Hi guys,

I was just looking for a bit of advice on the behaviour of one of my cichlids. Firstly i would like to id this fish, secondly in the video attached if you look at its mouth, it looks as though it cant or wont open it, and it swims around the tank flaring it nostrills i guess you call it.

Would anyone know what might be happening?

Hopefully the link works

How long have you had the fish? Was it normal before & this just happened or you didn't notice when you bought it? It looks like a deformity in the jaw structure. If she had a mouthful of eggs/fry the bottom would be distended which is kinda what I was expecting to see before I watched it but the way the bottom jaw is drawn in & the top protruding I can only assume deformity.

As for type it's hard to tell (especially since I'm 99% sure it's female & having little light on the fish) but I'd say Aulono SG 'Maleri Gold' or maybe a type of Flametail 'Ngara' maybe, possible hybrid female like a 'Sunshine'? It's def a type of Aulono though, deformed head I think mate.

It may have a jaw deformity...... but then little girls with massive mouthfuls always look really weird.

From that short clip I am going to blame one of the dragon blood males........... which likely means that half the fry will be white (tangerine gene) and half grey (split gene).

The weird faces she is pulling are her "juggling" the eggs.

Thanks for the fast replies, I haven't had that fish for very long, maybe 6 weeks and I don't remember it looking like that when I got it.

I was worried about deformity or an issue with the mouth but I didn't think about eggs though?

I fed them tonight and watched carefully and that fish didn't eat anything at all, It looked as though it wanted to but it didn't

Something else I thought I would mention, after watching them for about an hour, this fish was swimming next to some holey rock and it looked as though it was "shimmering" or did a shimy, I can't think of another way to describe it, was only very brief but I hadn't noticed it before.

I'm fairly new to Africans so the learning curve is steep but interesting none the less

I will take a full tank video of my setup and post it up, maybe I could get a few pointers from the qldaf community

I never had any fem peacock with a mouthful hold their gob like that! Looks crazy! I believe ya though Donny, with all your peacocks I'm sure you've seen it before. I only bred a few diff types of Aulono, probably 20-25 diff breeding/holding fems all up through the diff types. Sorry to mislead ya mate, I'd just never seen it before so assumed the worst. Apologies good sir :)

The shimmying I've always thought was them either adjusting or circulating the eggs, had plenty of fems with mouthfuls do a 'dance'.

Edited by BigPete86

look's like a female peacock with rino nose/jaw ,can be caused by fighting or from trying to eat pellets that are to big and hard ,commonly happen's to calvis, comp's, etc however the throat jiggle could meen it's holding.

Edited by PETFISH

No worries bigpete, no harm done mate

I will post up any changes in appearance or if she's holding

Petfish, if it turns out to be what you mentioned, am I able to correct it?

sorry ,but this condition is not fixable , however it wont effect the fish from eating/spawning and it is not a deformity and will not be passed on to fry.

Ok so I have been watching the tank now for about half an hour, her mouth is opening a fair bit more today and I noticed what I thought were eggs in her mouth, then as she was spooked by me she spat an egg out of her mouth which was quickly eaten by another fish.

Well I think it was an egg, it was about 2mm maybe a bit smaller, hard to tell and looked off white / yellowish in colour

So by the look of it she's holding eggs, I was concerned as she hadn't eaten in at least a week and I noticed her mouth looked odd, but this has certainly answered my question.

All replies are very much appreciated, I will post up a video of my setup for a critique

Thanks again