Hello, I am the one who are really addicted with spiny crayfish.

I just wonder that there is anyway to buy Murray crayfish or some others from other states,,

You know, catching any spiny cray is illegal in QLD so I am looking for what ways I can keep that species.

I hope that keeping them from other states is not illegal,,,

You can keep 2 legal sized Murray Crays but you cannot buy them off anyone including shops.

To keep them you need to catch them yourself or have some one catch them and give them to you for free.

Hello, I am the one who are really addicted with spiny crayfish.

I just wonder that there is anyway to buy Murray crayfish or some others from other states,,

You know, catching any spiny cray is illegal in QLD so I am looking for what ways I can keep that species.

I hope that keeping them from other states is not illegal,,,

Hi mate,

Another crayfish fanatic here. The keeping of spiny crayfish in other states such as Victoria & NEW are definitely permitted however as aussie123 has pointed out, you will not be able to buy it from anyone. You either catch your own or are given it.

To keep these beautiful creatures you will definitely need a chiller as they will not survive the QLD summer heat. Additionally if you do go ahead with trying to obtain some spiny crayfish I would avoid species that cross both the QLD and NSW border as you may have a hard time proving they were not from QLD. Such species include E.sulcatus and E.valentulus. Also, be weary of other species that may occur in National Parks and thus are protected. Two possible species you may be able to keep are E.spinifer & E.armatus which are both found in Victoria - be sure to just a chiller or keep them in an air conditioned room.

HTH & good luck chasing these beasts

is there a difference between murray crays and the spiny crays we get in qld

There are heaps of spiny crayfish species and they will differ by coloration, number of spines, size etc. Even the same species that are found in different ranges or parts of the creeek will differ some what

Euastacus armatus - Murray crays

PicACPEuastacusArmatus.jpg

Euastacus sulcatus - traditional coloration of lamington national park sulcatus

8306483480_a9fc02deb8_z.jpg

Another euastacus sulcatus, unknown location

PicACPEuastacusSulcatus.jpg

we found a creek in the sunshine hinter land had a heap of spiny crays in it, while talking to a mate about them, his father who was a timber cutter in the area said they used to walk the creek at night with lights and catch huge crays, i saw some photos of them ,they were big. havent ever been at night to have a look. dont no what type they were only that they were spiny. havent thought about them for years might have to go and have a look

Hi mate,

Another crayfish fanatic here. The keeping of spiny crayfish in other states such as Victoria & NEW are definitely permitted however as aussie123 has pointed out, you will not be able to buy it from anyone. You either catch your own or are given it.

To keep these beautiful creatures you will definitely need a chiller as they will not survive the QLD summer heat. Additionally if you do go ahead with trying to obtain some spiny crayfish I would avoid species that cross both the QLD and NSW border as you may have a hard time proving they were not from QLD. Such species include E.sulcatus and E.valentulus. Also, be weary of other species that may occur in National Parks and thus are protected. Two possible species you may be able to keep are E.spinifer & E.armatus which are both found in Victoria - be sure to just a chiller or keep them in an air conditioned room.

HTH & good luck chasing these beasts

Thanks for everyone! I found so much information in here.

Actually, I am crayfish breeder from the other country so I am sure that I will do my best and make best environment for them as netty_3164 said.

BTW, netty_3164, I guess that you are also crayfish fanatic :D,, thanks for your kindness!

Had a bloke try and sell some large laminations to a store I worked at once.

One of them was berried :(

Same bloke was catching and killing Mary river cods from coomera river.

Complete Wan##r

This is why we can't have nice things! It's so frustrating when people only think about $$. Did he say why he was killing the cod?