Nem0

Predator tank - finally up and running!

Well I have finally re-converted my 5 foot freshwater tank back to salt. The tank is going to be home to either a Port Jackson, Epaulette or Bamboo shark (or a mix of two) and either a Zebra or Snowflake eel.

Filtration wise I am running a Fluval FX5 filter that has about 2kg of matrix and sponges to get the bigger particles. I've also setup a 3 foot sump that houses my G220 Aqua One protein skimmer and a 20 centermeter "sand" bed, which is made up of 3 layers, the lower layer being crushed coral, second layer being smaller aragonite and the top layer being 20 kg of live sand. Each layer is separated by uv stabilised fly screen / mesh. Also have the heater in the sump to keep the top tank clean.

The top tank has had its back painted black, has a spray bar setup, which actually generates a very good level of movement that I was surprised at. There is a 5000gph wavemaker and also the out and in pipes for the Fluval. It's also got two 1 inch overflow / gravity feed holes that drop down to the sump through two 300micron socks. There is about 15kg of liverock, 20 kg of sand and another 10kg of live sand in the top tank.

I think that about covers the setup, but would appeciate any ideas that you guys may have on changes I should make or things I should consider down the track.

I know at 5 foot the tank is on the smaller side, but the location of the tank is in an area where I can easily upgrade to 8 foot or 10 foot down the track when the pups grow up.

What do you guys think on the cycling side? I have an RO/DI system at home which I have used to fill the tank. The salinity is sitting on 35ppt and the temp is at 25. With this being a FOWLR setup, I personally don't see the need to cycle the tank for the usual (long) period as I have essentially got 45kg of established live media in the tank, with "brand new" water......

post-10477-14711629478196_thumb.jpg

post-10477-14711629478364_thumb.jpg

post-10477-14711629478497_thumb.jpg

post-10477-14711629478695_thumb.jpg

Here are some pics of the Bamboo Shark, Epaulette Shark and Emporer Angelfish. I have also got a Snowflake Eel in there but I haven't gotten a photo of him yet.

post-10477-14711629529963_thumb.jpg

post-10477-14711629530122_thumb.jpg

post-10477-14711629529292_thumb.jpg

post-10477-14711629529418_thumb.jpg

post-10477-14711629529797_thumb.jpg

Nice Nemo :hail: and my taste in fish :hail: just wondering if the epaulette would like more rock work being the rock pool walking guy he is.....but hey your watching them and if all is well and happy...who cares?? :dance: :dance: Ive always wanted to have a nice big cube like a rock pool and a little breeding group of epaulettes.....looking at these bamboo guys has got me thinking now too...very nice nemo....

Awesome, would love to see a full tank shot!?!?! I have always wanted a tank with a shark, a moray and a Lion Fish. You almost have my dream tank, super jealous!

I have thought about more rock and to be honest I am pretty sure I will get some more - thanks to Saltytank88!

I am a little concerned with the Epp as it is not eating. Having said that it has only been two days in the tank. To be honest I prefer the Bamboo over the Epp! The Bamboo is much more of a swimmer and is trying to eat, but I think I am not cutting up the food small enough.

I made them up a nice seafood mix last night that I then pureed and set with gelatin. Poor things havent had a chance to try it yet as the Emp keeps smashing it the moment he senses it touch the water lol.

And surprise surprise the Snowflake likes.....wait for it.......sinking carnivore pellets and crushed algae wafer lol

Am devestated. Yesterday at work the tank crashed and despite massive water changes last night and efforts from mates, i sadly lost both sharks. The Ep was dead when i got home and the bamboo was not in a good way. I took him and the eel out and put them in fresh seawater i bought that day. I held him in front of the powerhead for an hour to keep the water going over his gills but to no avail. Really upset at loosing them.

Chris that sucks! I was just talking about you at work today wondering how your tank was going, I came on to message you about a fish we got in, but looks like you haven't had the best of luck. If you are after predators again let me know, I'll be working Thursday to Tuesday. Give me a ring at work if your keen.

Jason

Hey Jason. Yeah am totally devestated at loosing them. I think there was something funky with the Epp and think it must have died early in the day and sent the water off. Have done three changes now and things seem to be settling now. The Emporer and Snowflake are going fine though.

What have you got in?