Just wondering how you guys would ship fish to Perth. Say around 130, 4cm cichlids to Perth from Queensland. How many bags would you use, and what size? I just got 130 delivered yesterday from Queensland in 3 medium/small bags. 45 or so fish in each bag. Also a lay over on the flight. They got into Perth at 430pm and quarantine was closed. Picked them up first thing this morning, with every single one dead:( Could this have been avoided with better packaging? And direct flight? I was also told they would use at least 5-6 large bags, but they didn't and now I am out a lot of fish and money. Doesn't seem fair.

Edited by Aquacouple

holy moly!

most fish I've ever packed in a box would be about 30 and tried to space them out as much as I could (standard size box, not the taller larger ones)

And those were fry as well

Otherwise 10 max for some other more expensive fish, 1 per bag

I would definitely space them out a lot more especially if shipping to Perth (hate to say it, but it's a PITA sending to Perth)

Well it seems the person I got the fish from had paid a 'friend' to pack and ship the fish and had no idea himself that they were only in 3 little bags! He has been very helpful and polite about the whole situation, and has in fact offered a refund (minus shipping). Still very very sad about all the dead fish tho:( I also hope that this 'freind' of his never ships fish again!

A direct flight definately, those lay overs sure do suck and the freight companies don't give a Damm. And you can't do anything about the company coz they dont insure perishables... Maybe if you had some insurance or sonething? You have to look in to it. Maybe if you had of asked quarentine to stay late they might of helped out, seeing as they get paid to do that... It may of cost you their overtime but. Also if you had of found out the time Q closed you could of told the guy who sent to send earlier. But ALSO, shipments on planes can and do get dropped if something else gets loaded that's " more important"

How much water to air was there in the bags too?

At least the person is willing to help and hasn't washed his hands of it. Just try and make sure of things a luttle better next time - with another person that is, as I'm sure that guy will be on top of things next time.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. That must be a disappointment to you and it's a real shame about the fish.

I use breather bags for all shipping (air or road). They especially prove their worth when delays occur.

At 4cm I would only pack 5-7 per bag max.

Edited by ozmo