Richard_

Are there any good looking mongrels?

Here are the eggs laid just now, and last week I asked what will the stork bring from my festae red devil luv bunnies

You guys said mongrels , just ugly worthless mongrels

Fair enough

Are there any combos worth chasing? Jag/texas red devil /festae? Synspilum/jag? Just asking in case I missed a cool fish for the tank or there are good combos afterall

Thoughts on what is a good looking hybrid/mongrel anyone?

post-8781-14711629601356_thumb.jpg

post-8781-1471162960152_thumb.jpg

Edited by Richard_

It just depends almost on luck really, obviously there are some crosses that will rarely produce anything nice, but most of the time, out of a batch you will get 1 or 2 nice looking fry worth keeping.

Can't say I'd do it with these 2 though, just because the fry will look similar to both parents, I try to breed 2 very different species when making new crosses, that way the fry usually look nothing like either parent, but still have the traits.

It varies but the more interesting fry seem to come out around the third and forth generations and at that stage it seems possible to line breed to select the best characteristics of both parents in the one fish? First generation crosses can be major duds even without male sterility and bad behaviours. Parrots may be the exception although a cross back to a good devil or synspilum can be even nicer.