Sign in to follow this  
Herbz

Archer fish tips?

Hey guyz

i got an archer fish the other day, i had one before but it got mysteriously bit in half by something :P

anyway i had to take my bass out of the tank because he was getting to agressive. Now my archer now has abit of fin rot

and is not eating. I know its probably due to the stress but i don't want to loose this one. I have some fin rot chemical but i don't want to stress him out even more by putting it in. I put abit of salt in to try clear things up but no result as of yet. If anyones got any tips on how to get him good again i would appreciate it.

Herbz

Archerfish can handle high levels of salt. I often see them in marinas and around jetties (full salt water) in northern queensland. So if your other fish can tolerate salt I would increase your salt rate.

Hi

Archerfish will take an awful lot of salt as in nature the go out to the reefs for most of their adult life. they travell back to freshwater/Brackish water to lay eggs.

How much salt are you putting in? For my 300L tank i used about 20 - 25 tablespoons of salt, dissolved in boiling water and then allowed to cool. Worked well for white spot parasite.

You will need to slowly add the salt over a few days so as to not stress the fish.

Hey guyz

Thanks for the help my archer has come good and is looking so much better. He even did his first spit today :) i was so stoked! He spat about 6 crickets off a piece of rope, each time taking less and less squirts to get them to fall off. He even did a little aerial display :)

They are pretty smart and have amazing eyesight. I made up a series of ledges to hold floating fish pellets with the vertical heights marked on. They would always knock the bottom most ones off first but have no problems with the top levels.

Many years ago I was keeping fish in a 5m high industrial warehouse and they would bring down cockroaches off the roof struts! These archers were quite large though.

A friend of mine has some in his living room tank. When he has a visitor the archers will spit on the visitor because they worked out thats the fastest way to get attention and food. (Spitting on my friend gets no reaction when he is alone).

Sign in to follow this