pandapete

price listed versus an offer

just putting it out there.... are forum members peeved like I am when you post a fish for sale (cheaper than any aquarium shop) and people then ask for a counter offer ( usually rediculous) cheaper than what they are worth wholesale? Or should all posts make it clear that prices are firm? Some posts state a single price and a multiple price or a buy the lot price... is it a given that one price each is what you are offering and not a group buy if 6,10 or 20 fish are up for sale

your thoughts will be interesting

for the record My thoughts are that you are tight and are wasting my valuable time

I believe it is a culture that if you are selling something privately than you will accept what ever ridiculous offer that the potential buyer is willing to offer.

I guess some people don't see how rude they are being when they try and talk down the price of a bargain.

all good comments so far... It depends on wether you are desperate for the sale too I guess.

is it a generation thing or what?

I myself would walk a mile to buy a can of coke at coles or woolies for a dollar than pay $5 for the same can at a servo or what ever,

and dont get me started on the price of food at a sporting event!!! ( local clubs accepted as it promotes the juniors , I dont mind that)

I agree 100% with you steve and jules

as I said is it a generation thing? us old farts can read and tend not to abbreviate words, rely on computers to do it all for us and take everything for granted

dont get me wrong all you youngins out there, I have met quite a few of you and have found you to be fairdinkum, promt and reliable

Personally i tend to agree with you Pete. I think when you post a very fair price for something it's plain rude when the lowballers try and scam it for less. However it's also often the way people ask the question. When someone politely asks if you would do so and so for x $'s it's not so bad and as stated you have the right to refuse. It's the cockheads who just expect that whatever price you have stated should be lowered for them that i get pi$$ed off.

I always try to be fair with my prices and often see similar items or fish being sold for more then i advertise so it gets a bit old when some tight a$$ cretin thinks he should have it cheaper. I will just keep things or, with plants, throw them away rather than give in to someone who is obviously just selfish.

I don't think its a bad thing, if you have a price you want and won't take offers" firm" says it all

However if you have a number of fish for sale and some one wants them all at once, an offer isn't really available (firm), I would prefer to have one

person rock up and take them at a cheaper rate then have to deal with a number of people you don't know turning up.

Also if ppl pm dif from what you are asking it may indicate the market of that fish at that time,

its always better to be polite and say thank you for the offer but I am not interested.

I have looked at eoi's at times and thought I might like that fish but have no idea what the seller is chasing so don't bother

just my opinion

I had some rarer fish FS at a very fair price and it took me ages to sell them but I did in the end

I stuck to my price as they were not going to get cheaper

Now I'm not sure if people were tight or just didn't know what fish they were

Either way I'd rather they go to a good home as its not about the money

But I was chatting today and the same species came up in conversation

I told her the above story and was told that she would not only be willing to pay the asking

Price but also take a large number of fry

So next spawn guess where there going

FJ

Im with u Pete

Lowball offers followed by 'can u deliver' dont justify a response in my opinion...

Actually these days any *offer* less than 3/4 my initial asking price doesn't get a response from me.

I had some guy lowball me on a pair of texas ages ago that got all narky when I sold the fish at my asking price... I would have paid that he says... should have offered that then I say ;-)

I had someone get narky at me once because i wouldn't drop the price i had on fish for sale. No one else seemed to have these fish at the time and the only ones i have ever seen for sale since were all from the people i ended up selling my breeding stock to. The only ones i had seen elsewhere were in a shop as juvies at over 4 times the price. When this guy started getting shirty with me i said he was welcome to go and pay shop prices for them. His response was "as if i ever pay shop prices for anything".

Some people just think it's their right to tell you what you should be selling your stuff for

i guess offers depend on circumstance forcing the sale, prices previously sold for, what the person offering can afford or justify at that time and ofc quality of the actual fish or thing for sale ?

like said previously though, simple 2 letter reply of NO is all that is required if the price doesn't quite meet your expectations or bottom dollar,

Im hearing you pete. Like the fish arent cheap on here as it is. Might have to start putting retail prices on the fs threads that way peoples offers might get you some where close to the price your asking for. Why lowballers **** me the most is they have no idea that the person that left with fish 5 mins or the day before they arrived paid asking price and if I was to accept their offer what does that make me.....

Yeah, I always try to do a little research before I buy anything.. I see if the fish is available retail and check what the price is (usually ridiculous), and then use that as a basis for forum prices. I always go off the thought that the "forum fish" are better looked after and not just seen as an investment and have a little extra love and care for them, so even if they're NEAR retail I usually don't mind paying the same.. When I find a huge difference between LFS and private sales, it makes me smile and puts that little bit of faith in humanity back in my pocket -- with those extra dollars.

I don't think I've haggled anyone yet.. if the asking price is more than I can justify/afford, I just move on.. what's the point in offending someone for the sake of saving a few dollars?

I hope it wasn't me that p*ssed you off, Pete :P I had to check 5x8 was 40, haha .. I had fun checking out your stock today ^_^

wow ! what a great response. I suppose it comes down to the individual,what you are prepared to do and what you are prepared to accept or tollerate, I have read and experienced what you have all gone through..... and it probably comes down to this ... you should read between the lines... when someone is a regular visitor or a new aquaintance who is prompt,polite and punctual who doesnt haggel, then you do your utmost to accommodate them in their needs.

In my opinion if you ask for a discount then dont be supprised if I say no, if you are true and genuine then I will be more than fair and give you extras such as food,fish,advice and of course a discount.

Dont be tight and allow the seller to be generous,

just my thoughts!!!!

Offers, even low ball ones at least give you a point of reference ... it's the people who ask "what's the lowest you will go" almost as soon as you offer up a sell price that really peeves me. It's almost as if the anonymity of internet selling encourages buyers to leave their manners at home

Nini you are the perfect forum member, youve hit it in one , if you had of bought something that needed a particular food then I would have gladly given you some as i have done with many members. even though I was busy I was pleased to stop and serve you ,was a delight meeting you and brad and vincent

appreciate the txt letting me know they have settled in for you... cheers

As an afterthought..

I don't know if it's a generation jump, or just a group in society, that tries to get a cheaper price on anything. I do know from experience if you go to a retail shop and buy a fridge/phone/tv/computer etc and you ask for a better price, they can USUALLY do it.. it may take a little twisting their arm.. but there's usually a way for them to give you a discount. And I'll happily ask for a better price on anything retail like that -- because they buy it for a hell of a lot cheaper than they sell it for, and it loses value FAST.

I tend to go easier on private sales.. they're a somebody trying to pay their bills and enjoy their hobby, just like me.. there's no point in haggling over a few dollars and making them feel uneasy in their own house..

Haggling may have just turned into an extra feature of society.. if you're selling something you need to be expected to be offered a lower price.. but if you're offering a lower price, you need to be prepared to pay the asking price.

I guess it's a matter of asking nicely, and not demanding or pushing it on the seller, and knowing when to shut up and pay--or go home. I just hope it hasn't affected too many sellers, and they haven't thrown in the "selling towel".