momentarydiversion

Hi Tech Nano - c02 advice?

Hi All,

I'm building a high tech nano cube, with the following specifications so far.

Tank -ADA 30c (30cm rimless etc)

Filter - Eheim 2213

Heater - External Hydor 200w

Lights - BW30 Dalua LED

Substrate - ADA Amazonia Powder

Some eBay lily pipes

Plan is to plant with some HC and maybe a few other low carpeting varieties in an Iwagumi style.

Fauna planned - Some kind of shrimp (prefer something that likes algae), and a Siamese algae eater for cleanup. I will likely get some kind of display fish in future as well (tetras or maybe blue rams).

Clearly planting this will require some CO2. I'm not really interested in DIY, and I had been looking at some of the small fluval kits, but I think I'd be constantly changing the cylinders.

So I'm leaning towards pressurised CO2, and some advice or guidance (never having C02 previously) would be useful.

What I've learned so far

- You can get CO2 bottles from the home brew shop. They are generally cheaper.

- You need a regulator

- You need a check valve

- You need CO2 resistant airline

- You diffuse the C02 with an in tank diffuser, or you can inject inline with a reactor.

- Solenoids can be connected to timers.

What I'm still trying to work out|

- How big a bottle do I want? 6kg seems fairly ridiculous but 2.6kg? How long would that last? Few months? Few years?

- The home brew ones are....the same? kegking has a nice 2.6kg for 199, seems reasonable.

- Regulators - brand recommendations? Things to watch out for? I assume I need it to have a bubble counter and needle valve (and optionally a solenoid, but I've decided I need that)

- This all just screws together...right?

- Diffuser vs reactor? I like the idea of having this inline (adding CO2 resistant flow), but will this work with a lily outflow (i.e near the top)? Any advice on diffusers? (Trying to keep a very minimal look)?

Build journal to come as things start to arrive (hopefully this week).

-D

In my opinion a 2.6kg cylinder is an ideal size. I got mine from an Aus supplier on ebay for $165 filled and delivered. Nothing wrong with the home brew ones. This size will cost $25-35 to fill and should last you up to 2 years at 2-3bps. I run 2 tanks on my bottle and the gauge hasn't really moved since it was filled 8 months ago. Some people do seem to go through them much faster though, not sure why.

I spent ages researching regs before i got the one i use. Out of all the cheaper ones i saw i found if i searched long enough that they all seemed to have issues, the main 2 being solenoids that stick and needle valves that are almost impossible to get a steady bubble rate from. Without going to the really expensive brands i found one that seemed to be the goods and then spoke to several people who use them and all swear by them. They have an Aus supplier who charges in my opinion too much so once again through many hours searching online i was able to find a place where i could buy them at a much cheaper price. Like all others who own these regs i have found mine to be excellent. It comes with a proper bubble counter with a built in check valve and a solenoid. I set mine up, which involves screwing it onto the cylinder, attaching the tubing and adjusting the bubble rate to the desired amount, and have not have to touch it since. It just does it's thing steadily and consistently.

Diffuser vs reactor is up to you but on smaller tanks you would normally go a diffuser. Reactors tend to be of more benefit on larger tanks where you get better dissolution through the large volume of water.

I currently have all the necessary equipment you need for sale, including the regs, if it's of any interest to you.

HTH

http://www.qldaf.com/forums/dry-goods-trader-13/big-sale-95853/

Edited by beencees

Yeah that was very much the experience I had, cheap regulators just weren't worth the hassle. If we are talking about the same regulators that you have for sale there appears to be 2 australian suppliers now, and yes one does appear markedly more expensive, so that seems like a viable option.

So what are the big reliable brands that people swear by so I can get a feel for how much they are worth?

The reactors just seem "neater", but I am still concerned that with the lily pipes it may not be low enough to go through the tank?

There are a couple of other reputable brands but the main name you seem to hear is Tunze. Don't hold me to it but i think most if not all of them come without solenoids (someone correct me if i'm wrong) so you will need to sort that out separately.

You are probably correct about the lily pipe issue though. Strangely i actually find the diffusers quite attractive in the tank but if you want something a little more discrete you can try one of these which i have used and find work very well.

High Quality UP CO2 Atomizer Diffuser FOR Aquarium | eBay

Well still mucking around on a few items, but have locked in

Tank -ADA 30c (30cm rimless etc) - waiting :P

Filter - Eheim 2213 - with matrix, purigen and noodles + mechanical filtration

Lights - BW30 Dalua LED

Substrate - ADA Amazonia Powder - waiting :P

Some eBay lily pipes

Ista CO2 professional regulator (being delivered soon) + CO2 fire extinguisher :P. CO2 Reactor injection.

Plan is to plant with some HC and maybe a few other low carpeting varieties in an Iwagumi style. I've got some aquascaping rocks from fishchicks

Fauna planned - Red Crystal Shrimp. I thought I would get a Siamese algae eater for cleanup but they don't look like they will be right for the tank. Ottocinculus are the plan now. I will likely get some kind of display fish in future as well (blue rams).

Bah, the place I am supposed to be getting the ADA cube from is stuffing around, it could be a while :P

Has anyone got any experience with ADA vs Do! Aqua? Much difference (except for the price)?

I think if these dudes end up messing around I will just ask Mary-Annes to custom make me a starfire cube.

post-10895-14711630134835_thumb.jpg

Ok so the final setup

Tank -Custom Made Starphire Cube from Mary Annes

Filter - Eheim 2213 - with matrix, purigen and noodles + mechanical filtration

Lights - Two Desk Lamps, with 11w LED Bulbs. I don't know how I ended up going this way, but there we are.

Substrate - ADA Amazonia Powder

Some eBay lily pipes

Ista CO2 professional regulator (being delivered soon) + CO2 fire extinguisher + CO2 Reactor injection.

HC, HM and hair grass

aquascaping rocks from fishchicks

Fish soon, once I'm finished cycling

post-10895-14711630134576_thumb.jpg

post-10895-14711630134676_thumb.jpg

Edited by momentarydiversion

Nice setup.

I would of recommended the co2 pro compact reg and 540g bottle and ista reactor (~$270ish all up) from sponser AoA. suitable tube from aoa or ebay etc ($5 to 15). no need for check value/bubble counter etc with this system. I have this setup using a 2213; the reactor needs to be sat flat on side and closish to 2213 outlet for propellers to spin, works great. The inline atomisers on ebay ($25) also work well for this setup but you get co2 mist. Had to fill the 540g three times this year but that was my fault - pressurised a beer keg one time, did a crazy 6bps another time etc. at 1 bps its spose to last 10 months.

2.3 kg bottle - you would fill once a year or less depending on usage. i also have a 6kg bottle for home brew (pressurise and dispense kegged beer) and aquarium co2, nearly 2 years, never refilled.

Got the Ista pro regulator from AoA, chucked it on a fire extinguisher LIKE A BOSS.

My reactor is upright at the moment, spins ok?

Dont know if the rock is fossilled wood - back parts are a bit quartzy.

The hairgrass is going mental its doubled its floor space in about 9 days (not as tall yet) and one of the HM's looks like I destroyed it when transplanting, but the other 2 are going really well.

HC I think is taking, hopefully a nice bit of carpeting going on soon

I do have a lot of white fungusy threads coming off the HC, I think its because the ammonia is off the chart at the moment. From what I read (assuming it is fungus) some cherry shrimp will clean it up nicely.

Throw some stems in, but don't decrease the photo period. This will reduce the available light for algae, out-compete it with plantmass and probably get things back on track. That's just based on my own observations in my tanks though. You might need something a little easier to grow just until the other plants get established and growing.

Actually if you're at Albany Creek you could probably pop around tonight (if you're quick / dodge the storm) or tomorrow (between around 11-1pm) and grab some stems I have floating in my shrimp tank. They're yours for free if you want them, just pay it forward. One stem is ambulia and the other is milfoil. PM me.

Edit - I am at Bracken Ridge.

Stem = A stem plant?

The idea being it would grow really fast? How would hairgrass compare - I've got at least 30% increase in what I originally put in. The idea is a stem plant has more leaves etc and takes up more nutrient?

If anything I might have too much co2/ light and not enough nutrient - that would also cause algae?