Problem:- tank was clear after the w/c but a few hours later became cloudy, left it and around lunchtime today notice 2 congos upside down but still alive, transferred to an empty tank,2 plants deteriorating( almost bare stems now) and my firemouth sitting still on the bottom seeming very sluggish, now lost 4 congos

Ph:- 7.4- which is constant

Ammonia:- 0

Nitrate:-dark yellow so above 0

Nitrite:- 0

Gh:-

Kh:-

Size of tank:- roughtly 70 gallons

Temperature °C:- 25c

Been running for:- 14 months, perfectly for last 9

Filtration:-Canister/Sump/Internal Filter/Sponge:- aqua one on the top- fine spronge, course sponge, purigen, matrix

Fish in tank:-4 angels

2 kribs

1 firemouth

1 red forest jewel

1 acara blue

10 congo tetras

2 sae

3 bronze corys

Plants in Tank:- various plants

Feeding:- What food and How often 2 times a day (auto feeder)- spectrum community.

Recent Medication Treatments:- none

Last water change:-yesterday

Water change fortnightly

backstory, 4ft tank been setup and running roughly 14 months faced a few problems form the start but gotten all sorted and for the last 9 months say been running perfectly. Yesterday decided to add a couple of new angels to complete the tank, but before this thought was a good idea to give the filter a good clean and change purigen back in, purigen has been out sitting in primed water for about 3 months. did a 50ish% w/c and replaced everything back to normal, topped up excel and flourish for the plants. the went out and found 2 angels to add to the tank.

tank was clear after the w/c but a few hours later became cloudy, left it and around lunchtime today notice 2 congos upside down but still alive, transferred to an empty tank,2 plants deteriorating( almost bare stems now) and my firemouth sitting still on the bottom seeming very slugish so did another large w/c and removed the purigen.

what else can I do? I believe my problem was chlorine from the purigen recharge but smelt fine.

any ideas?

all help is appreciated thanks jacob

Maybe but a big ph swing can do some damage quickly. If the water has a extra dose of chlorine as can happen these days re doing water change can multiply the problem. You can freak out too early and be tempted to water change too much, if the dosage rate used to work ok doesn't mean it always will, at a bare minimum double rate should keep it safe. The original thread someone mentioned taking out the purigen, i take it it is already out? If not get it out and maybe run some carbon in the filter. If you try and correct the ph too quickly, as in add buffers, you could make it worse. I have had similar things happen from faulty ph tests letting me pour in bad water. Too much chlorine or ph out of whack is my guess.

Purigen is out, has been since I first noticed it this morning. I haven't tested my supply water, will tomorrow, but never had a problem in the past with it. I'm hoping it will calm down over night but well see. Tetras are deffinatly looking worst for wear, raised scales. But well see not much else I can do. Thanks for the suggestions everyone Jacob

Filter is a top filter, filled buckets of water from the tank matrix straight into its own bucket, course sponge and fine sponge seperate and squeezed out, washed all pipes and fittings with water coming from the tank. Everything sat in tank water for bout 10 mins while syhoned the tank then replaced and refilled, adding a dose of stability as I went. Have done it this way before and never had a problem

lost all but 2 congos, and had 3 plants melt. but now seems stable, after 2 roughly 10% w/c in last 2 says. tested water last night with readings being

ph 7.0

ammo 0.25

nitrite 0

nitrate 10

also tested kh 4dkh(71.6 ppm)

and gh couldn't get a result, tried multiple times so not sure but not to worried.

did another w/c last night to try get rid of that bit of ammonia.

anyway thanks goes to those that have helped, really appreciate it.

think was an ammonia spike, + chlorine from purigen.

thanks again jacob