TED

White Peppermint

I have what i believe to be a rare fish. A purebreed White Peppermint, and no its NOT an Albino.

About 8 months ago i was doing a regular water change and noticed a strange looking peppermint. A white one.

I automatically checked the eyes as i thought it was an albino and to my surprise it had normal coloured eyes. Then i thought it might be sick so i monitored it for a while (when i could see it that is lol) and no it wasnt sick. Ok i was stumped. A white peppermint.

I have breeding peppermint bristlenose for a while now and when the LFSs stopped buying them off me i was stuck with heaps of peppermints. Rather than sell them privately i just got lazy and kept all peppermints from that point on. At one stage i probably had 200+ peppermints at various stages of growth in a 6x2x2. I had one massive sell of and then let the rest go for it again. It is at the stage again where i have got at least an estimated 80+ peps and need to have another massive cut back.

Anyways back to the white peppermint.

It is a female of breeding age or atleast close to it. It is almost exactly the same colour as an albino bristlenose. The white spots are visable on majority of the fins. The white spots are hardly visable on the body. They are there just very very difficult to see even when the water clarity is 100%.

There is no chance of it being a cross breed. The other L numbers in this tank are 1 adult female common pleco (18/19 yr old), 1 adult male gibby, and one male royal panaque. I cant forget to mention the 20+ tiger endlers aswell. So definatly not a cross breed.

So there you have it. A rare white peppermint, and NO its NOT for sale. Either are any of the other peppermints at this stage.

Thanks and please enjoy.

Ted.

(crappy pics but i hope you at least get a pretty good idea).

post-7778-14711629621416_thumb.jpg

post-7778-14711629621553_thumb.jpg

post-7778-14711629621681_thumb.jpg

post-7778-14711629625136_thumb.jpg

post-7778-14711629625275_thumb.jpg

Edited by TED
more pics

Seems like you have a leucistic Peppermint.

Would be great to see some good pics of it one day. Congrats.

I also have a few leucistic fish that i am pretty chuffed about but at this stage i am not mentioning anything more about them until i can see what some selective breeding comes up with.

i have one or two other photos that show a picture of its head but having troubles down loading at the moment. GrrrrrrrrrrrGrr. Its genuine. I have no really good photos of it yet but i once i do i will post them up.

Oh Ted, You will get the odd I don't believe ya. Its just like the Yetti and Lockness or UFO's - all this new fandangled technology and people expect a portrait.

Hope you get the pic sorted as I am looking forward to it too.

The term for what you have I believe is Almanistic where it is just lacking pigment.

With the Albino L333's I have they are Albino (Red Eyed) and the thing is where you would expect the white pattern on it - it is more a orange colour. Is that what you are finding with the dots - they are not white but a slight off orange colour.

Good on ya Ted - I am a believer. It is not impossible.

No tech den. I find the dots are still white if that makes sense. hardy visible at all on the body until you look very very closely. The dots on the fins are alot more visable. and yeh i expect the non believers will probably be more active than the believers. I just wanted to share this as i am over the moon.

The scary thing is she has just moved into the breeding caves with the big dominate males. These boys are big, probably maximum size if you know what i mean, and its not just one two. There is at least 4 or five stonkers in that hollow rock and i have seen in the past what can happen to new comers trying to sqeeze in. Lucky she is a female. It might give her more of a chance?

I was trying to get better pics and thats when i had noticed she had moved in. I could only see the tip of her tail. No chance of photos while shes in there.

I have got plans on seperating her but i need a brand new 6x2x2 tank. I already have the stand and just need to order the tank.

Until this happens i just have to hope for the best.

Edited by TED

Once i get my new tanks i will be seperating her and trying to breed her. That will also give me the opputunity to give her a once over and a photo shoot. Until then i just gotta hope she makes it. I doubt i will get any decent photos of her until i handle her, but if i do i will definatly post

Edited by TED

Thanks for the offer Nini, but i have a brand new stand and just waiting upon my tanks at the moment. Hopefully another couple of weeks and she should be out.

I dont really wana dig her out just now until im completely ready. Shes been in there for a few years now going by her size, so not too concerned. Just wish she would get out off that breeding cave. The big boys are in there.