TED

White Peppermint

Yeah I seen both these fish last night very lucky boy is Ted. The spots on these are still white and the body colour is that creamy colour of an albino so they do stand out somewhat on the fins when they are flared out just harder to see them on the body.

loko750 is one of only 2 maybe 3 people who have actually seen these fish in the flesh. Actually only myself and him have seen the white peps together at the same time. Glad i had a witness because i still cant believe it. i would have been doubting my self there for a while. The chances of seeing both white peppermints at the same time again will almost be impossible. Let alone to get a photo.

Havnt even thought about names yet. "White Peppermint" already sounds exotic and rare. Migaloo Peps, Peace Peps, Lilly Peps, Polar Peps, ice peps, light peps, glo peps, cream peps,peppermint peppermints, ooooorrrr TED peps lololol. Ancistrus Teddly lolol. I guess a name will come. mmmmmm might have some thinking to do.

A name will probably be the last thing to happen as my main priority is to get them safe in a tank on thier own.

oh and some pics.

Now you saying its given you the " munchies" ;) has made me hungry too. Peppermint- obviously, cream- coz of the way you described it and also , "the cream rises to the top" aka " cream of the crop" meaning best :)

If you want to ad a little class and sophistication you could say ( in a French voice...) Creme' de la peppermont

Lol which literally means- cream of the Peppermints

I forgot to say at least someone else knows the beauty of a tank full of Peppermint cats :) the good one with the slight greenish/bluish tinge to the white spots :). good luck with them

I was pushing my luck last night. I figured if there were 2 white ones that there could be a third one lol. I spent about half an hour going over the tank with a torch but to no avail. Probably do again tonight aswell lol.

There's a few free sites on it and others than you can pay to get done, but anyone with even the slightest bit of photoshop experience can take them out.

Only real protection you have is an original print out with a date or recipt these days .

Cant wait for pics.

If there is more than 2, isnt there a good chance you will get more from the adults that bred the white pepp.

Or does it have nothing to do with genes

I dont know nothing about genetics. But yeah, the parants must have something in them. I am keeping all my adult peps for this reason. If they throw out two white ones the chances are they will throw out more down the track. I cant at this stage afford to get rid of any adults until i have a little play with them. The problem is i dont know who the parents are. Too many adult fish in a 6x2x2. I may find out tomorrow how many depending on how cooperative the white ones are. They might have a tank of their own by tomorrow night.

Hi TED,

You can add a watermark to a photo with photo editing software, such as Adobe Lightroom. The location, size, appearance, and content of the watermark can be set using the photo editing software and the watermark is written to the file when saving.

Each photo file also contains some metadata (EXIF info) which is written by your camera that stores information about the photo including copyright information, as well as things like date taken, author, camera and lens used, settings used, etc

Again, if you need a little help with the photography, just let me know. Fish keeping and photography are two hobbies of mine, and I'm not looking to gain anything other than the opportunity and enjoyment of photographing a possibly unique fish :)

Here's an example photo of my albino BN. Notice the small watermark on the bottom right corner. (To discourage a photo getting stolen you probably wouldn't want to use such a small watermark. Instead, plaster a large one across the photo to make it harder to edit out. Although, it may not stop the most determined people...)

9090215266_3e9d28bb54_o.jpg

WEB5D3_2013-0972 by cy1234, on Flickr

Edited by watfish

I know this post is off topic but wanted to use photo above.

But i got a pepp that is about 3.5-4 cm, when i look closely at it, it has bristle like the bristlenose in the photo above.

So my question is, do bristlenose normaly have bristles (like above photo) at 3.5-4cm?

Just a quick update. Sorry guys no updated pics as off yet as there was a couple of dramas over the weekend.

The white peps have been moved into their own tank. It looks to be one definate female and maybe a male. They both looked healthy from what we seen (my mates). Will update photos once i get some good ones.

My count on the number of other peps in the tank were a little understated. I guessed about 70 to 80.

In reality there is well over 100.My guess now would be closer to 150. Yep 100 plus adult peps in a 6x2x2. It is quite an awsome site to see when the tank is bare of all hard scaping.

Again sorry. Pics will come.

Kitmini, I run a big eheim classic cannister and an otto internal. Cant remember the out flow rates. I do close to 50% water changes weekly and the cannister gets done every 6 months. I have alot of maintence to do but i love the fact there are always peppermints on show. I have got a few too many peps at the moment but i will sort that out soon. I plan to keep at least a colony of about 50 odd. 60 odd. Maybe 70 odd. I really enjoy having a large colony of peps. The only down side is that it can be hard to keep track of indivduals and when it comes to breeding it is really just pot luck on which peppermints breed. The up side to breeding is that there is always a female or male ready to breed so u dont always have to rely on certian indivduals for new fry. I havnt had too much breeding going on lately as i think there might be a tad too many in there at the moment. Time will tell. Go the big colonys.