TED

White Peppermint

Don't worry about what other people say Ted, we know they are real. To those waiting for pics, I did manage to get some that day but my PC wont read the disc to install the program for my new camera. Might need super geek or someone to sort it. Then we can properly review the pics. Pretty sure Ted only wants to post pics that clearly show the spots on the fish. Please be patient he may not want to post any of the pics I have anyway.

post-7778-1471162994801_thumb.jpg

These are the best pics i could manage to get. The one with the female in the back ground shows spots on the male. The female is usually fully white but does get black on her at times of stress. She was fully white before i got her out so i dont know whats going on. Yes i know crappy pics.

post-7778-14711629947409_thumb.jpg

post-7778-1471162994755_thumb.jpg

post-7778-14711629947686_thumb.jpg

post-7778-14711629947884_thumb.jpg

Not perfect guys so there is still alot of work to do. Selective breeding and what not. Like i mentioned before the female is usually fully white. She put on those black marks on her head as soon as i took her out so im guessing its stress marks. The male has always been pied.

Yeh, im not going to call them anything except for what they are. Marbled sounds alright. All i know is that they are not completely black and the female goes fully white.

Best way to get good shots of L's is from above, birds eye view.

They look like L144's with black patches, me and lots of ppl in the country have bred lots of 144s and some fry will get the black patches, see link; • View topic - GBA (L144) with patches of black

The black patches or spots etc are in the genetics of the original fishes, they were not white/albino to start with, more just like a common bn colour which threw out these 144's, line breed 2 of these and you get the same in fry but sometimes a few commons come out or white/albino colour with black spots/markings, eyes will remain black as they are missing the gene that give them the albino red eye.

Very hard to determine your fishes are "Peppermints" in those pics, in my opinion they look like 144s with lots of black patches

I understand there is going to be sceptism but they are pure bred peppermints. I have never owned L144s but i could see why people would say that. The only fish they could be crossed with is a common pleco, sailfin pleco or a royal panaque.

I didnt puposely try to do anything with my peppermints they just appeared. First the feamle and the male wasnt spotted until a couple of weeks ago.

I dont know how i could prove they are peppermints but they are. Pure bred peps. Suppose a DNA test would prove it.

common pleco, sailfin pleco or a royal panaque, cross bred impossible, these are and will only breed in outdoor ponds with muddy substrate, plus maturity is from 40cm plus, if they bred you'll know it due to the large amount of eggs they have.

144's, I've had many fry grow up with no black spots/patches, 3 months later they appeared and stayed, I'm sure other breeders have had the same thing happen.

If they are in fact pure peps, good luck with them, it'll be very hard trying to sell the fry that look like 144s

yeh there is one pic that shows the white spots. Thats the detail i was trying to get to show they are pure bred peps.

I dont really care that they look like the L144s because i was never trying to create anything. They are what they are. It will be a while before anything hits the markets and all it will do is give people a choice between L144s or white peppermints. I got to first be successful in creating a more refined version before anything happens so im not going to get too far ahead of myself.

Well, TED wasn't full of **** after all!

I never doubted it, seen weirder things happen before :P I used to come across some albino BN that I bred that had black spots on their tails and black tips on their dorsal fins. I wish I'd have known how "rare" they were before I sold them. I was only 13 at the time, had no idea what I was doing, But I was surprised I managed to sell them for $130

Perhaps piebald is more accurate than marble?

"A piebald or pied animal is one that has a spotting pattern of large unpigmented, usually white, areas of hair, feathers, or scales and normally pigmented patches, generally black."

They would be very very cool if you could make panda BN, black and white blotches :eyebrows:

I just want to add that I think TED has been very honourable throughout, even with the nay-sayers

Here's what looks like a Longfin Pepp.

Was posted in a group on Facebook last week.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40592[/ATTACH]

I didn't believe there was such a thing as a Longfin Pepp... UNTIL I SAW THE PICTURE!

Doesn't look peppermint to me, just a nice common, that maybe why the pic is poor quality

Doesn't look peppermint to me, just a nice common, that maybe why the pic is poor quality

Yeah the person who posted the pics got slammed when the pics went up, everybody saying the same thing as well. You could be right and nothing beats seeing it with your own eyes.

hey Ted, replied to your PM a couple of weeks ago, and have been waiting for the green light to come take some pics. Sorry to hear about the mishap with the female :( If you're still interested after she recovers, just give me a yell. I'm probably only a few minutes away, and it would only take a hour or two to get you some (hopefully) clearer pics. Only offering to help, out of my love for these forums, photography, and fish ... not necessarily in that order :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40612[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]40613[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]40614[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]40615[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]40616[/ATTACH]

These are the best pics i could manage to get. The one with the female in the back ground shows spots on the male. The female is usually fully white but does get black on her at times of stress. She was fully white before i got her out so i dont know whats going on. Yes i know crappy pics.

I can say that you can definitely see the white dots of a peppermint in the last pic. Other pics can't really see but all I can say is hope for the best TED.

i think they look ugly...why breed something if it looks like ****..

pepps look good the why they are...good luck with the freak show

just because you dont like it doesnt mean others won't. myself i can't wait to be able to get some one day.

Last photo clearly you can see vibrant white spots throughout the golden fish... I Didn't doubt it when I seen it and dont now.. They look cool sorta like that person said marbled Peppermint... But the eyes aren't red so its not albino genes yeah? or maybe just lack of? considering you dont get white peps :L

No not at the moment. They are in their little love nest for now. 4x15x18 all to themselves. Thinking of putting a couple of tiger endlers in there. Hopefully they let off some phermones that might spur the couple to hurry up. They might not be sexually mature yet???? Who knows they might not even be fertile???. If nothing happens over the next 12 months I might have to split them up to see whether one is infertile or not. Its all a waiting game now with maybe a couple of tweaks here and there.(temp, diet, hardscapes ect).