lilly1958

Substrate for Discus

Coffs gravel is a bit coarse and you will have to be careful food scraps etc dont build up in the gravel. I would suggest a very fine gravel so you can vacuum up wastes easier. I used white sand for mine as all the wastes stay on top and with some rocks and driftwood you can create a bench and put a layer of laterite under the sand for plants.

Ventus, thanks for the pic what are the other fish you have with your Discus? i thought they needed a planted tank?

DavidTullee. Thanks for your pics as well

I actually have some bunnings play sand left over from my cichlid tank but I also have 20kg of very fine black sand, would the black be too harsh?

Ventus, thanks for the pic what are the other fish you have with your Discus? i thought they needed a planted tank?

DavidTullee. Thanks for your pics as well

I actually have some bunnings play sand left over from my cichlid tank but I also have 20kg of very fine black sand, would the black be too harsh?

That types of discus are you keeping? If they are any type of pigeon blood (including melons and butterfly's) they will show their peppering, so best to use white. Also, when/if they successfully breed, the baby's go to anything black (the parrents should be the only black thing in there.)