Victoria

Oscar and higher pH

My tap water is naturally around an 8, and this is what I've been keeping my new red tiger oscar in. My thought process was that a stable pH is better than a fluctuating, lower pH. Whether this is correct, or not, is why I'm here.

Having googled scholar articles, I can't find much legitimate information about keeping fish in a pH different to their natural habitat. Most of the research centres around the outer limits of acceptable pH, lower than 6-7 and higher than 8. Obviously, I wont be doing this! But, I did learn a little bit about the amazon river, and how oscars adapt to low oxygen levels, their metabolism etc...very cool stuff.

Further on, I am not sure what pH fish shops and breeders keep their pH at. I really probably should have asked where he was sourced from, but naturally he's not wild. Next time I will. (There was no pH printed on the glass)

So, my question is. What effect will a higher pH have on a farmed fish, whose natural habitat is at a lower pH? Negligible? Or long term suffering?

Most forums I've taken the time to read about on this have been slightly hysterical, with little factual (eg., gill function, osmo-regulation etc) evidence to back it up. Also, I don't have access to any paid-for journals, sadly. If any experienced fish keeper can help, I'd be very thankful. I don't want to harm my fisheh!

Cheers!