~Col~

Algae? Or something else?

Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I've been on here, but I really need some advice.

My 2ft FW tank has started growing this white feathery algae (?). I've cleaned it off when I do the water changes but it comes back really quickly. It is only attached to the gold vine driftwood piece and has only started in the last few months. I've had the wood in the tank for 12+ months. The albino plecos eat around it.

Here is a picture. There is a bit of debris on it at the moment, I accidentally stirred up the tank a bit looking at it.

post-7189-14711629635501_thumb.jpg

Any tips or ideas? The swords that are growing in the tank are growing like weeds. Every couple of months I have to remove some. There is very little green algae growing on the glass or elsewhere.

Cheers

That's good to know Big Kev!

I meant to ask you when I was in the shop last week Donny but completely forgot! Also told you my QLDAF username was Colinna...but realised I used my nickname instead...sorry!! I will try reducing the bristlenose food for a bit and see what happens. This is the tank that I attempted a female betta sorority in... :o

Thanks again everyone!

Too true Donny! I will remember that in future!

Out of the original 6, I have 4 left. The one that was small, skinny (skin & bone) and attacked I put in a fry cage until my friend got her tank set up and cycled (still waiting). She recovered fast and also grew fast once she was no longer being harassed. However, she decided to jump ship back into the tank with the others. She's the same size as them now and they appear to be getting along fine. No tattered fins yet!

my mates native tank has driftwood that produce that fungus/algae on his driftwood, which i believe he sourced himself from where-ever that may be, i know he removes it often and scrubs it off for it to only return weeks later,

but as bidkev said previously, im pretty sure it has a "life-span" and doesn't happen forever and will eventually stop, and it also never harmed any of his fish...

(not even his plecos would touch it though lol)