Muzz

Painting tank background fore - against

So I've got another tank coming in a few weeks It will be an aquascape tank. The background will be dark blue or gray with river sand substrate an a dark timber stand and hood.

I am wondering if people generally use vinyl or paint rear wall of their tanks?

What is your preference and why?

Muzz

Myself go spraypaint on rear. Its easy to remove if wanted and leaves a even finish everytime. Many colour choices, just have to find what colour your looking for.

Proper sign quality vinyl works a treat if you apply it correctly (ie. soapy water, squeegied to get any bubbles out) also decent quality vinyl will last as long as a decent paint job...

The question in my opinion is: Which one is cheaper for the quantity required?

Ring around some local sign manufacturers and see if they have stock of the color you want.. might get yourself a steal :D

Does any paint work? Gloss, Matt, Flat??? I am considering leaving the latex background off my new 6 x 2 x 2 I recently bought as I just removed it to clean behind it before I set back up. Was considering just painting it black instead. I would also appreciate any tips on painting it! What to prep and clean glass with, brand of paint etc etc...

Use metho or thinners to clean surface well. And then your choice of finish. My fav is matt orflat. Just standard car paint works well or even your standard spraypaint works well.

Paint 100 %, personally I like black or chocolate.

Vinyl always showed ripples for me :(

I just used a few sample pots in my desired colour from the paint shop, cost about $10 all up and love it

If painting enamel with a spray can (from Bunnings)I'd skip the $2.95 can and go the $7.95 one.

Couple of extra bucks can make a difference in the quality of the paint,I find the cheaper stuff takes a little longer to fully dry/harden.

I prep with acetone then apply many thin coats.

Use metho or thinners to clean surface well. And then your choice of finish. My fav is matt orflat. Just standard car paint works well or even your standard spraypaint works well.

You use thinners near silicone.

Don't know if that's such a good idea.

Spray paint for me, but I follow a strict routine. I know others like thinners and multiple coats, my routine has never failed me. First, I take the cap off the can. Then,I spray the glass. Then I go and have a rest. You might be able to leave off having a rest, but I wouldnt reccomend it.

Dunno why folk paint their tanks?.....................seems like a load of unneccessary work and time waste to me. I drape any colour cloth I take a fancy to, on the back of my tanks, invariably blue or black. Stays put with duct tape and can be removed for tank resale in an instant

I like the idea kev but painting the tank makes it look amazing! And hanging a cloth makes it look like theres a cloth hanging behind the tank.. I think both are great but painting looks way sexier!

I used esp (firmly bonds paint to any glossy surface... even glass)... then enamel as advised, screwed in bulkheads a week later removed paint in that area, I did phone esp customer service and they advised me that it product would be dry but the paint I used can take up to 30 days, dunno, just saying

cant flaw a proper job with vinyl, no bubbles no wrinkles (beats painting), as previously stated the quality of the vinyl you use will make the world of difference, a sign writing whole-saler will be the your best option.

keeping in mind you dont need an especially high grade if your tanks going to be indoors, the higher grade stuff is more so for UV protection and such, a mid level vinyl will do the job and no nasty paint jobs needed.

Have got both a painted back tank and a vinyl backed tank both black and in the same room. IMO the vinyl looks much better and much more of a 'deeper' black than the paint. Just make sure its applied correctly to avoid the ripples.

[MENTION=3694]JayPee[/MENTION] ... I am also keen on some deep black vinyl.

I have a 5 x 2.5 backing I am interested in doing. Could you PM me a price incl shipping to Cornubia?

Do you have a website where I could see the type of vinyl you supply?

I haven't had the pleasure of seeing a black vinyl tank in person and don't find blue backgrounds appealing for some reason, part of the beauty of our hobby we all have the freedom to put our personnel touch into our tanks.

I painted my first background today and found it super easy, I used a product called esp to prep the surface first and don't think it would of been successfully without it. Then used a roller and flat black.

I have tons of it left over if anyone wants to paint their tank.

I also came across an article the other day that raved about chalkboard paint that looked pretty good too.

post-5820-14711630484881_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post-5820-14711630484598_thumb.jpg

post-5820-14711630484737_thumb.jpg