Hey

So in my fishkeeping experience I have never had to deal with ICH ever therefore I don't know what it actually looks like.

I have attached some photos of my flame dwarf Gourami where you can hopefully see the spots I am talking about. They look like little flakes attached to his fins My female betta had some too (also had cloudy eyes so she was removed and into a hospital tank with her)

ammonia: 0

nitrite:0

nitrate: 10-20

pH: 7.4

Temp 25.1 (slowly raising it for treatment.)

prime after water changes

weekly 10% Water changes

Indian Almond Leaf is added occassionally.

seachem fertilisers (flourish, Potassium, nitrogen, phosphorus.)

Stupidly have added 2 Loaches without Quarantining about 2 weeks ago :S So it is probably my own fault.

post-10577-14711629643199_thumb.jpg

post-10577-14711629642441_thumb.jpg

post-10577-1471162964279_thumb.jpg

post-10577-14711629642988_thumb.jpg

3rd/4th pic looks like it to me.. I'm not sure if there are other things it could be, but when my guppies/pep bns had it, they were raised white spots that multiplied in numbers pretty quickly.

new fish/stressed fish can bring it on (especially from a LFS, where they live in a super-stressful environment)..

I tried the aquarium's "this is what we use in our tanks" solution, and it didn't work.. but 2 rounds of Protozin (because I saw **one** spot on a fish after the first treatment) got rid of it for good.. and it's not supposed to hurt the sensitive fishes.. I lost a guppy and a male pep before using protozin, and everything else survived..and one of the guppies recently had a batch of babies.. so it mustn't do too much harm xD

A higher temp (around 30-31 degrees) helps speed up the life cycle of the parasite, so the first 3 days of treatment *should* get them all, then you have a "day 6" treatment to make sure.. --with protozin.. different treatments have different rules.

Other people have been able to treat it with temp alone, and blocking out the light to keep the stress levels of the fish down.. it's up to you.

Just make sure you take the carbon out of your filter if you're putting chemicals in to treat it :P (I tried it without taking it out, and it was a complete waste of time, heh).

My only problem is those marks.. are they blurred white dots, or something else..?

The dots actually remind me of infected white spot injuries.

Its hard to get a handle on the size of the dots, as most these pictures are very enlarged.

protozin is safe to use with the loaches, and will take care of any white spot.

But you may need to use something else against the secondary bacterial infection.

Salt is likely out as a method due to species.

You could try adding a lot of indian almond

either leaves or make a tea.

You mentioned you added them occasionally but not sure how many you have.

The waterlife product designed for this situation is myxazin.

Its very powerful against a very large % of problem bacterial infections.

You could also try melafix and pimafix combined against it.

I usually use only a half dose with gourami.

myxazin will only take care of bacterial problems...

Taking care of the white spot first is the plan, then follow up with something to prevent the injuries getting worse.

Its a bit complicated though, as if you raise the temperature....... you could make the bacterial infection worse faster.

The thing that bothers me is that there are not more spots on the fins

it seems to be mostly the back half of the flanks.

My guppies got them in clusters just below the fins.. and on their sides. Similar to this one's cluster just below the fin in the picture I drew all over. They had very few spots on the fins themselves -- some, but not many.

The spots on that have been circled look like the others in real life but I think its the angle of the photo that make it look funny.

I have IAL so I will add a fair amount of that also. Adding about 1.25L now. Hoping that will help. Can add some more in the morning also.

Temp has been raised also.

Would just like to add that one of our Black Phantom Tetra's have died not sure if from the same thing as they didn't appear to have any marks on them when I was looking earlier...

The other thing is there was only ONE other fish with what even looked remotely close the the same thing and that was the female betta but she also has cloud eye so she is in a hospital tank being treated with salt, IAL and a tiny dose of Pima Fix. Should I be pulling the Gourami out into a hospital tank also to do the same treatment, or is it the entire tank that will need to go through this now?

Also those meds that you listed Donny, are they going to kill the healthy bacteria in my filter... Will I need to re-cycle my filter after?

The waterlife products are actually not too bad on your beneficial biological filtration.

The come at a higher cost but with much fewer negative side effects than the previous generation of fish meds.

Loaches and catfish seem to be the main drivers of fish medication evolution.

Although I suspect shrimp are not far behind them.

It takes a more gentle hand to crush a bug without harming a prawn!

The other option is to use the hammer.

remove the loaches to the hospital tank

and then dose the tank with something..... blunt.

that will kill off much of the biofilter

but it should also be effective against white spot and bacterial infections.

meet promethyasul.

There are many hammers

but this is a good one to start with.

Its also a very cheap way to treat a large tank.

So could be worth having on hand as an option.

You would need to remove loaches before using it

and it will turn water blue, and prob stain aquarium silicon a bit.

The next level up is likely formalin.

But thats not such a forgiving med.

as such its not generally sold at the hobbyist level of fish world.

With the loaches in the hospital tank you have less water to treat, so can get away with a small bottle of myxazin and protozin to treat them.

Edited by Donny@ageofaquariums

My tank was fine with the protozin.. there was no recycle or any negative effect.. I even had 2 cherry shrimp that survived the treatment (until one went walkabouts the other day -.-).. the tank only had the shrimp, peppermint bns and the guppies..and i went straight to full-dose with it (the male had already died before i got the protozin, so I went into angry-keeper mode).

I would do the whole tank though -- the parasite could be in the water already, and they're just waiting to latch on to the rest of your fish.

Just an update as to whats going on. On the first day this was posted we lost two Black Phantom Tetras. But after that no losses. At this stage nobody looks sick. In fact everything seems to be thriving in the brown water lol. The white spots are still on the orange dwarf gourami but otherwise he seems as healthy as ever.

We have been doing quarter does of Melafix and Primafix every second day as a light general medication until we can get the coin to get better stuff. But at this stage nothing seems to be wrong except for those spots.