mickd

fry in my filter

hi all

atm ive got loads of endler fry and they are doing very well,anyway it was time to give the top filter a clean,its built in the top with some white filter wrapping around the black outlet pipe,first thing i noticed was that there was around 5 small fry in there OMG get a bucket lol,

i also noticed that there wasn't any charcoal or anything in there apart from the balls and white wrapping,(second hand tank) should i go out and get some charcoal etc,(i do test the water every wk and it all good)

lastly ive put a small filter media bag around the bottom of the filter pipe so the fry dont get sucked up will this effect the filtration system of the tank in anyway??

thanks mick

media bag shouldn't mess with the flow, unless something big gets stuck to the outside (plant leaf, etc).. I would think it would be okay.

From what I've read around the place, the charcoal in the filter needs to be replaced weekly (if you're using it), and taken out if you're putting meds in etc.. It's just there to help absorb/remove the extra nasties in the water (I haven't replaced mine after treating whitespot, and everything is still going okay). My filters only have sponge, foam and ceramic rings in them.. it's entirely personal on what you want in your filter :) the sponge/foam came by default in mine..and I added the rings because they were on the shelf near the filter... (It was a very difficult decision, hah).

Also, grats fry! :D I should probably check my filter <.< Had a couple of batches in the last week, and no intake protection, lol oops... but YAY!! How long have they been living in there for? o.o