possum_chop

Changing Carbon

Just wondering if I could get some opinions on how long people leave carbon in a filter for?

I have a 5x2x2 and about 2-3kg of carbon in a canister filter.

I'm around the 8 week mark for the carbon I have in there. I have the time period of '6 weeks' in my head from somewhere...

Just wondering what people do themselves and what they'd recommend.

Cheers!

Sara

To be honest I do not like carbon in filters.

But if you must use it then never let go longer than four weeks before replacing.

Carbon is good at removing impurities in the water but once it fills up it has this bad habit of dumping a heap of those impurities back into your system.

So never allow it to fill up.

That is why I say MAXIMUM 4 weeks.

Graeme

Traditionally activated carbon was always recommended to be replaced after 2 weeks at which time it's chemical absorption properties have ceased. I tend to agree with most of the comments above. Unless you're removing something specific it's not really worthwhile. Appropriate filtration should be doing the job without the use of carbon.

That's what I like - there is always something new to learn and interesting about the chelating inhibition properties.

I guess you will get different answers as everyone's tanks are different and different loads on the carbon and grades of carbon.

I know it is a bit of a shameless plug but macropore might be a good option instead of carbon and with the recharging makes it really economical especially the cost of macropore now too.

Agree with 'most' above. I only use carbon when removing old chemicals, or if water goes funny etc. Its in there 2 weeks (3 if im lazy) then removed and thrown away. There is so much uncertainty about it (as seen above) when there are so many other better filtration media types out there that are proven - why bother with carbon???