Fergy666

Aquaclear 20 Intake cover

Hey,

Just found some fish in my Aquaclear 20 HOB filter which appear to have been sucked up through the intake.

I have since thrown some stockings around the intake however think this will be a bit of a pain to clean and replace so trying to find alternatives.

I have read that you can buy the aquaclear sponge and cut to size and slide it on, however when it comes to cleaning, taking the sponge off releases all the dirt into the water? any tips on preventing this? and is there any reduction in water flow?

people have suggested the fluval edge pre filter sponges, anyone have any experience with these?

I have seen the steel mesh shrimp guards online but not sure if they are suitable for this type of intake or what size fits?

Does anyone have any other tips they use to cover the aquaclear 20 intake which allow for easy removal and cleaning?

Use the sponge method & when it comes to cleaning simply take a ziplock bag, sandwich bag etc. & put it over the sponge ASAP as you turn the pump/motor off. Or if you don't turn the motor off just wrap the bag as you slide the sponge off & the filter should pick up any free detritus that escapes as its runnin. Do the latter method fairly quick as ya don't wanna seal the intake with the bag & put undue pressure on the motor or impellor.

Yeah just a good squeeze & swoosh around in tank water or if your bio filtration is good already then you can just wash the pre filter sponge under the tap.

As for how often to clean it depends on stocking levels, feeding amounts, planting density etc.

I've used them on shrimp tanks before no worries but if it was for larger fish or higher waste levels it may become a PITA to clean every day or 2 instead of every wk or 2...