Seth Hodkinson

Common BN growth rates

Hey guys, just had my first batch of common bn fry, roughly 40 pretty excited about it,

just wondering how long they usually take to get to about 3 cm? currently there already pretty big around 1 cm

just wondering what there grow rate is like? Ive been doing weekly water changes also in the hope of faster growth rates.

Cheers Seth

Hey guys, just had my first batch of common bn fry, roughly 40 pretty excited about it,

just wondering how long they usually take to get to about 3 cm? currently there already pretty big around 1 cm

just wondering what there grow rate is like? Ive been doing weekly water changes also in the hope of faster growth rates.

Cheers Seth

Nice work Seth - I read this post and thought it was me talking! We have also been excited by our first batch of common BN, a month ago now. A second batch are about to leave the log in the next few days I reckon!

So, I started by saying "there's about 30 eggs", then "30-40 babies" after they left the log. Then I did a "proper" census when I counted 40 for sure, plus a couple of strays. Then I started moving them into another tank - 4 at first, then another 26. That was most of them...yeh right. I moved another 16 two days later, and reckoned there were still 8-10 left. That was a week ago.... Let me see, that's 46 plus 10 = 56 out of an original 30 or so eggs. Ooops, my counting not great. Oh yeh, and I just increased my estimate of 10 left to 20 more this morning...so make that a total of 64...Needless to say, I'm not hazarding a guess as to how many babies are in the new batch!!!

By the way, mine are about 18-20 mm long one month after hatching...fed on cucumber, tetra veggie algae wafers and general stuff in an established tank with coarse gravel.

Good luck with this batch, and all the rest that will follow.

cheers.

Jonathan.