Nathan17

New tank....New problem!

Wow its been awhile since Ive posted on here and of course I return with a drama for all you problem solvers:frusty:

So recently and fairly unexpectedly my lovely planted tank got turned into a turtle tank :nono:

Anyway that's where the problems started, the fish and him actually get along really well, they don't even pay attention to each other to be honest which is good.

Its my wonderful canister filter that is making be nearly postal! It just wont pump water! I mean its dropped from 1800lph to like 100lph....

Me thinks it has something to do with the fact the tank is now only 2 thirds full of water but Im just really not sure.

The canister filter is a otto PF300g and it has always been good till now.

Ive pressed the air release valve and after a couple presses no water comes out. Ive taken it apart and put it back together, reprimed it etc. Worked good for afew days then bleh, back to 100lph....I have no idea whats going on:frusty:

For the love of christ help! Before the fish, the turtle and the tank find them self hitchhiking to a new home:smash:

My guess from experience would be the water level for sure but check how low the filter is from water level (might need to be raised) and even take the in and output hoses off and flush them out with your hose on high power (may be getting crap build up inside)

Get a bucket full of tank water and submerge the intake all the way and see if that increases the flow, then lift

It up to the level it would run in the tank and see if it changes. Should give you a fair indication of wether intake depth has something to do with lack of flow. I do 50% water changes with canisters running and they don't change output at all, as long as the strainer is submerged they pump on. Maybe head height could be an issue, overstacking of the trays maybe?

I have a feeling it is water height, is there anyway of fixing this other then the obvious?

I will check the filter baskets when I get home. I think there is air in the filter but I would have no idea how.

Nah the turtle gets fed out of the tank and he doesn't really kick stuff around.