Richard_

The science is in and its now global cooling :-)

Hey! I'm a biochemist (but currently being a mummy) and no one respects my opinion. LOL

FYI, 'scientist' is a term without value these days. Even high school grads who work as lab monkeys call themselves 'scientists', lol. And that's cool, we need more people interested in science.

What I do disagree with is people using the term as an authoritative title. I'm a biochemist, and my knowledge of climate change is minimal.....totally independent topic. I am not a climate scientist by trade. :D

Hey! I'm a biochemist (but currently being a mummy) and no one respects my opinion. LOL

FYI, 'scientist' is a term without value these days. Even high school grads who work as lab monkeys call themselves 'scientists', lol. And that's cool, we need more people interested in science.

What I do disagree with is people using the term as an authoritative title. I'm a biochemist, and my knowledge of climate change is minimal.....totally independent topic. I am not a climate scientist by trade. :D

Lol, I know what your saying Victoria, in the U.S i'm know as a Locomotive Engineer. Sounds cool eh but here i'm just a lowly old train driver, glorified bus driver if you like. I wouldn't think theres too many people in here with a PHD though. These guys might not be giants in their field of expertise but they are presumably sound thinkers, don't jump to conclusions like a lot of people do, they are scientists for a reason. Having them pop in here from time to time to at least keep a scientific topic on track sounds good to me, even Donny's feigning illness to get out jail with them, (only joking Donny :egrin:). Love him or hate him but this reminds me of a Woody Allen quote “he's a genius, she's a genius, wow, you know alot of geniuses, you should meet some stupid people sometime, you might learn something”..

I need to give you guys some advice though, reading through your posts they seem very formal & stiff, you guys need to hang in here more often with us lower IQs & loosen up a bit, spill the beans on your thoughts on the Carbon Tax & Kyoto & just kidding. :fish:

It's an age thing PaleAle - I started University in 1963 in England - the English language was a pretty structured thing back then - not like the carefree usage today. Plus the discipline that scientific writing imposes.

cheers,

Mike

the English language was a pretty structured thing back then - not like the carefree usage today.

cheers,

Mike

Haha, i think a few pillars have been kicked from beneath that structure. The carefree usage is a bit of an understatement, it's not so much that modern english is that bad but when i hear teens talking & every second word is "Like" i just want to clip em in the ear. Like no offence to like the youngens like in here.

That's like saying, all those older folk don't know anything, no offence

Just because you say no offence doesn't mean it's right

Hey donny, you're an idiot but no offence :-P (kidding)

Those older folk have forgotten more than you youngens know :ewink:

Hey Shon, i Like wonder if Like Donny took offence to Like what you Like even though Like you where Like just kidding. See how that sounds, it's so wrong on so many levels.

For those still interested there hav ebeen a couple of reports on the BBC News site that are worth a read.

The first at BBC News - Esa's Cryosat mission observes continuing Arctic winter ice decline talks about the far more important factor with the Arctic sea ice decline - the volume of the ice. The area covered is very much affected by weather events - summer storms can either spread the ice out or concentrate it into a smaller area, and that is what has happened in the last two years with this year summer storms having spread the available ice out while last year it tended to be concentrated by the storms. The volume of ice is a much better guid eto what is really happening.

The second at BBC News - Sea-level rise from polar ice melt finally quantified is about the contribution of melting of the ice caps on Greenland and the Antarctic to rising sea levels - not directly relevant to this thread but still of interest.

cheers,

Mike