SaltyTank88

New Reef Tank Build

Hello,

I have only been a member on here for a few weeks but thought I would put up the beginning of my latest reef tank build. I started saltwater about a year ago after owning several freshwater tanks with mainly cichlids.

My new tank will be a 5 x 22 x 22 not quite 2 x 2. It has a centre glass weir with 2 bulkheads in the bottom and returns through another bulkhead in the back right of the tank. The sump is roughly 3 x 18 x 18 designed the way I wanted it. The 2 outlets from the tank will have ball valves and dump into first compartment through maybe some filter socks not sure yet. The tank is made with Starphire glass on all 4 sides for a bit of extra clarity.

I will go into more detail when build gets along further but for now its just the tank and equipment as I have got most of it over the last week or so. I have sold off my other tanks and decided to start new with everything in this one.

I have almost all of the equipment already, still waiting on the UV and a couple of other things at the moment. I’m just going to get all the piping situated, tidy all the wires and spend the time actually doing the things I normally rush.

So here’s some pics hope you like it and any feedback/input would be great.

post-11099-14711629709769_thumb.jpg

post-11099-14711629709931_thumb.jpg

post-11099-14711629710099_thumb.jpg

post-11099-14711629710261_thumb.jpg

post-11099-14711629710417_thumb.jpg

Hello. Its been a couple of weeks things have been slowly moving along. Got all my connections together and tested. Finished all the plumbing. Finished putting the bulkheads in and making the durso. Picked up some egg crate and covered the whole bottom of the tank and the bottom of the sump compartment where some rock will be. Also picked up a new chiller for it yesterday. Some pics to come. But its comin along. Thanks for lookin

Hello,

Ok well this weekend ive done a bit more to the tank. Got it stained and in the house. Got some more plumbing sorted, got my quarantine set up last week and its doing its thing. Today ive just been setting up skimmer, reactor, pumps lights etc still heaps too go but thought id add some more pics for the people following this build.

Thanks again

post-11099-14711629957601_thumb.jpg

post-11099-14711629957834_thumb.jpg

post-11099-14711629957985_thumb.jpg

post-11099-14711629958137_thumb.jpg

post-11099-14711629958325_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately last week I did a leak test and a a run through to check all the plumbing etc and its too heavy for my floor. Im on stumps where I am atm and the house is reasonably old. I just moved out of a brand new brick had tanks everywhere and didnt even think the floor would be my enemy. Filled it up floor was creaking and the tank was rocking that bad when u walk it almost tipped. Looked under the house but fixing the floor where it is isnt an option. Dont know what to do :(

Ok, two things... Get some foam under that smaller tank for a start,

Secondly, if you get a plank and put it length ways under the cab front and back, that will spread the load alot. You might be able to span it over ? Supports. The boards will stabilize the tank. And is that a chipboard/particle/marine ply base ???

Hello. Lots of progress. Sorry almost forgot about this thread haha. Tank has been running for about 4 weeks or so now. Current stock is (coral) 3 x hammers one green one reverse stem and a gold one. A purple tip jardini. A duncan. Green daisy star mat. Red acan. Favia. Turbinaria cup amd lotssssss of zoas. (Fish) 5x chromis. Scopas tang. 4 peppermint shrimp. Blue linkia. Might seem like alot already but I used live sand and about 30 kg of base rock and about 30kg of rock out of a very eatablished tank. There was barely a cycle. Sorry if I dragged on. Ppl want PICS. tomorow ill try and get a few on. Cheers for the interest