Milwocky

Does any body know how to stop the trickling noise of water running down the hoses in

Does any body know how to stop the trickling noise of water running down the hoses into my sump? ive spent ages backing off taps and trying to get it right.... its driving me insane im on the verge of selling the tank lol if any one knows anything or can help id appreciate it greatly

thats a bugger...... i preferred to use a wier to solve this problem and my old 8fter was super silient, dont sell ur tank, there will be a way to fix it with all good help on here.... someone

will have the answer

:beer: mike

Just google "durso aquarium sump". And that might help you, they basically stop the noise at the tank intake by coming up to the level you want and then curve back down into the water so the intake is always under water.

Its really hard with out photos and being able to see the tank to resolve a problem.

I find my air pump is noisier than my water flow.

I put t pieces on the back of the bulkheads and make sure the pipes from your tank are below water level.

I hate water noise, I also had really crap outflow.soo

I removed my 25mm bulkheads with 20mm internal diameter, from the 32mm holes in the tank. increased flow from ~600lph to easily handles a 4000lph pump!

I made overflow boxes and siliconed them onto the back of the tank they are ~18inches long

i fitted 32mm pvc fittings as bulkheads to the bottom of the overflows.

DSC02368Medium.jpg

over the part of the fitting in the overflow i put a capped piece of 90mm pipe, with a few 10mm holes drilled around the base of it. (becomes a doso set up)

I placed a big chunck of open cell filter foam ontop of the dorso, so the water flowing into the overflow hits the foam, NOT the water, = zero splashing sound

DSC02385Medium.jpg

At the distal end of my pipes i have ball valves so i can retard the flow so there is never air in the line, which eliminates gurgling sounds

in the sump i have the ends of the pipes in a small tupperware type container so they are allways submerged, and cant allow air back up the pipes

DSC_0261Large.jpg

Edited by trofius

I hate water noise, I also had really crap outflow.soo

I removed my 25mm bulkheads with 20mm internal diameter, from the 32mm holes in the tank. increased flow from ~600lph to easily handles a 4000lph pump!

I made overflow boxes and siliconed them onto the back of the tank they are ~18inches long

i fitted 32mm pvc fittings as bulkheads to the bottom of the overflows.

DSC02368Medium.jpg

You need a t-piece where the hole in the tank is.

Water flow will increase as well.

http://www.qldaf.com/forums/aquarium-projects-diy-journals-11/sump-plumbing-82292/

You need a t-piece where the hole in the tank is.

Water flow will increase as well.

http://www.qldaf.com/forums/aquarium-projects-diy-journals-11/sump-plumbing-82292/

Yep thats how it WAS set up, bulkhead onto a 32mm t -piece gurgled and popped and carried on...and didnt flow for crap.

when you check these flow rates

http://www.qldaf.com/forums/aquarium-projects-diy-journals-11/pipe-sizing-charts-flow-rates-55887/

you will see that by removing the 1inch bulkhead (3/4inch internal) and use the hole in the glass 1.25-1.3inches the flow rate nearly triples from 13lpm to 36lpm!! or 780lph to 2160lph for each hole..obviously not considering pipe and friction effectors, which will slow it down a tad.

Edited by trofius

I don't think durso standpipe will work as their is no weir/overflow box. T-piece with a cap on you overflows and drill holes in the cap slightly larger each time to fine tune it. There are endless threads on the net, seems to be quite a common problem

my old 8ft had a wier with 2, 32mm pipes flowing into each side of sump, wier was hardly even noticable in tank... and whole system was super quiet....

now i see this pic and look at what ima missing out on now... bugger

keep ur tank

:beer: mike

IMG_2846_zps316a8ccf.jpg