Sign in to follow this  
fishkeeper101

Catfish/eel recommendation

First off, the height of the tank has nothing to do with the amount, and to a degree,with exceptions, the size of fish...( ie a 15cm tall tank would be ok for say guppies but not Discus)... It's the length x bredth that's important. You can only put x # of fish in whatever tank, say a 3x2x2 as you could in the same tank but 10 meters tall. The better filtration and turnover you have is going to determine the number if fish.

What do you want another caty for? To look pretty or eat algae or ?? You could go from an Otto to a gibbiceps to a gold nugget or zebra plec.

Could try a spiny eel. I got the missus one (Peacock) a few weeks ago for the oscar tank. It tends to hide a lot and is pretty shy (at the moment) so it might turn out just as inactive as your pleco.

Apparently, they are escape artists.

Mate look out for some big cheap eupterus featherfin synodontis catfish.

They are impressive fish and also kind of jerks too.

Which means they usually get along with convicts.

They can annoy fish tho, thinking your height helps with the dollars.

and so yea, I'd look out for ones that people are trying to get rid of from more chilled tanks.

You could add multiples, but I'd think you'd be able to get adults for about $30 or so if you look around.

I'm giving one away if you would like him? He got caught in my hollow driftwood a few weeks ago and has been traumatized ever since we had to lever him out. I think a change of scenery might do him good. He might be rather large for your tank though, he's about 20 centimeters long and quite fat. You're a fair way away, so if you're ever coming down my way just pm me and you can pop in and see what you think?

Otherwise I suggest the spiny eels, I had one a few years ago and loved it. They are really unusual and interesting. Mine buried itself in the sand a lot but soon got more active and we saw it quite a lot.

Yeah I think he might be. I just got a good look at him and he still has a few marks from the 'incident' as well, I should probably let him recover a while longer anyway. Teaches him right for being greedy and trying to eat all my shrimp :)

Good luck anyway :)

Sign in to follow this