Sign in to follow this  
green_muffin

electric yellow indented stomach?

hi all

just noticed a couple of the little yellows have an indented stomach? i feed them all very well and they are all swimming around normally...what is this? there are other yellows one that is the same size and two bigger that dont have this...

tried taking some shots but the little buggers wouldnt stay still...

post-10933-14711629796446_thumb.jpg

post-10933-14711629796305_thumb.jpg

hmmm. are you sure? they are only 5cm at the most and this one is around 4ish.

googling around seems to say that its some sort of parasitic worm.

what do you think? dont want to unnecessarily do a treatment...also should i treat the whole tank?

i've taken a couple more shots.

post-10933-14711629797477_thumb.jpg

post-10933-14711629797337_thumb.jpg

If you want me to make a 100% positive problem ID, bring me the fish.

I will put it down, cut it up, put it under the scope and get you pictures.

Then we can ID critters/eggs in the pictures and find the perfect solution.... that would have saved the fish.

XD

Sterazin for the win vs worms though.

Good broadspectrum med with no real major side effects.

Still looks like she has a small mouthful though.

Add some food and watch her.

Does she eat really?

Like Donny said when you feed them keep an eye on the yellow with the indent to see if she eats! If you arnt certain than our advice ain't going to be certain. We can only go off pics and help you out the best we can from those pics buddy. To me it looks like the first 2 pics mouth has a slight droop which is holding eggs/live fry but the other pics just looks like she hasn't been eating. How long have thay been in the tank for

Edited by african-cichlids

Yep 100% they are eating normally. After keeping an eye on them when feeding i noticed one of the little ones crammed so much food in its mouth they looked more like a baby puffer fish lol.

Anyway i think ill just get the meds. The voogle bottle says its good to use to help their natural immune system so ill start with that and have sterazin as backup.

just thought i'd report in on the progress.

i started the Sterazin treatment and on the third dose (Day 6 - Yesterday) i noticed what looked like ich on one of the ob peacocks. on closer inspection i could see it had about a 1mm dangly thing on it and after a bit of research found out that this was a worm (fluke). Checked again last night and saw that the worm looking bit had gone but there was still a bit of a white spot there. Checked again this morning and it was all clear, no white spot and no worm. All fish are no longer "flashing" (i had another thread regarding this) but one or two yellows still have a sunken belly although they are eating normally and still active and dont show any signs of being sick (except for the belly)

i should finish my treatment on Monday and fingers crossed all will be ok...if they still have a sunken belly then im just going to leave it as is...

Sign in to follow this